Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mok Jaw, Madia!


One of my oldest friends, Lindsay, got married a couple of months ago. She came home a couple of weeks ago and had a little open house at her parents' house to celebrate. Linds grew up in the same ward that I now live in, which is really fun. I used to visit teach her mom, as a matter of fact.

Lindsay's husband is Korean - his family immigrated to the U.S. when he was 12. His name is Mike, and he is really nice.

My dad went on a mission to Korea, and when we were growing up, he taught us a few phrases. "Mok Jaw, Madia!" means "Let's eat!!" "Ka Jaw, Madia!" means "Let's go!!" And "Pabo" means "idiot." Ben always had Koreans in his architecture programs at the U of U and then down in San Diego, and whenever I met one of his Korean classmates, I would say, "Mok Jaw, Madia!" They usually looked at me quizzically, and I laughed and laughed. I think it's really funny. Dad always told me that "Madia" means "exclamation mark," but just a couple of weeks ago, he also told me that you only say "madia" to people below you, or dogs. So it's like saying, "Let's eat, chump!" No wonder those Koreans looked at me in that way! Hahaha!

Lindsay and Mike got married in the D.C. temple, but then they also had a traditional Korean ceremony afterward. Linds and Mike wore all the traditional clothes and the whole she-bang. I guess there's a part where the groom carries the bride's mom around piggy back and stuff. She had a bunch of pictures from her wedding for people to look at:



Tammy and Rick:

Lindsay's mom, Lana, and Sister E.:

When I told my dad the Linds married a Korean, he asked if they had a traditional ceremony, and I told him they did. He asked if Lindsay's brothers and dad hung Mike upside-down and hit his bare feet with sticks. I was like, "Huh??" I guess that's a part of the ceremony. Something about her brothers and dad "punishing" Mike for "taking the bride away." I asked Mike and Linds if they did that part, and Linds was like, "No.... Is that part of the ceremony, Mike?" He smiled shyly and said, "Yeah.... my mom and I decided not to do that part." Linds said, "Thank goodness!"
Lindsay's dad, Jim, talking to a guest at the open house (she's in my ward, but I can't remember her name. She's really nice, though):


Congrats, Linds!

6 comments:

Nat said...

I had no idea she got married! Congrats to Linds!

Anonymous said...

How fun!! Congrats to your friend! I didn't realize she was the Workman's daughter until you said so!

Jenny said...

oh wow! it's so good to see lindsay! i'm glad she's doing well!

Mindy H. said...

It looks like the open house was a good time, but I would have loved to have been at the traditional Korean ceremony!

The Dillons said...

Oh awesome! I wish I could have gone to see the pictures. Thanks for sharing that with us! That is so funny about the punishing the groom for taking away the bride haha!

Mark and Jamie Elison said...

I am so excited that Lindsay got married! How wonderful, and yes he does look like a very nice guy! I am so glad that you put there pictures on your blog. I haven't seen or heard from her for a long time. She looks great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...