Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Squash


Last night, I didn't get a chance to eat dinner before going in to work for a couple of hours (I still work some hours in the evenings for my dad's office). As I was gathering my stuff to leave, I saw Ben slicing some squash to steam and put with our meal, and I thought, Good work, Benny. We need to use up that squash. And it's good for you. I planned to eat when I got home.

When I came home from work, Dylan asked me to cuddle him and rub his face, of course. So I was on the top bunk with him, rubbing his face, and I said, "So how was dinner, buddy?"

"Fine," he said.

"What did you think of the squash?" I asked.

"Squash tastes like.... nothing."

I chuckled and said, "But Daddy put butter and brown sugar on it, right?"

Dylan said, "It just tasted like nothing... with butter and brown sugar on it."

From the bottom bunk, I heard Sadie's little voice volunteer this opinion on the matter: "I hate stwass. It's dwoss." ["I hate squash. It's gross."]

I laughed so hard, because Dylan's opinion on squash is the exact same opinion I have about squash - it tastes like nothing. I'm not crazy about it, but I eat it when it's offered, because I know it's good for me. I feel the same way about water chestnuts - I feel like I'm eating crunchy air. I don't like those, either.

5 comments:

Layton Mom said...

Mmmm squash! I have a great recipe to make it taste like something yummy and not nothing. Let me know if you want it. I LOVE squash!

Patty said...

My mom LOVES water chestnuts. She used to try to convinvce us that they DID have a taste. But only the really smart, or girls who did their chores without being asked, or something like that could taste how marvelous they were. Sort of an Emperor's New Clothes Chestnut.

Anonymous said...

I've never tried squash and I don't know if I want to. Brynnan loved the pureed baby food of squash. Sweet potatoes too. I thought that was funny.

Gifford Family said...

Blech... I have to side with Sadie... it is GROSS! I have had it several ways and I have not liked any of them!

Lynita said...

I freakin love squash, but Ethan won't eat a single vegetable, and Kaitlyn likes them. So we are a bit mixed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...