Monday, March 1, 2010

Olympics Observations, 2010 Edition

Beads and Nat, watching Olympics at my house (I love this picture of them)

1. I don't think curling should be considered a sport. I'm a fast sweeper; should I join a curling team??




2. I don't think the luge should be considered a sport. Unless you want to make sledding a sport. Seriously. I just don't feel like it's that athletic. Scary, yes. Athletic, no.




3. That one position in pairs figure skating makes me really uncomfortable. I can't find a picture of it, but surely you know the position to which I'm referring.



4. Evan Lysecek is a god. His technique is amazing. I can tell he's had a lot of ballet training, and I think it's that training that won him the gold. Gorgeous lines.



5. K.D. Lang (opening ceremony) really looks like a man. But her voice is like silk. I have always been a fan of her voice.



6. If I was an Olympian, I would do those three downhill skiing events. Obviously. I heart skiing.



7. If I lost or biffed it, and the media was interviewing me about my disappointing performance, I would just yell as loudly as I could, "MEH!!!" And that's it. I think it would be funny.



8. Johnny Weir is very flamboyant. Wow. A black corset with hot pink ribbon lacing?





9. Women's halfpipe isn't nearly as impressive as men's halfpipe. More bulk=more air. More air=more exciting.



10. Shaun White is amazing. I get really emotional when I see that kind of raw talent. The man can fly.



11. The ladies who do curling are very, very vocal.



12. If figure skating is an Olympic Sport, then so should ballet be an Olympic Sport. Just sayin'.



13. Plushenko's moves in his free skate also made me uncomfortable. I kept yelling, "Oh, no. No. You can't be doing that."



14. Did you know that Plushenko is referred to as "Plushy"? I think that's funny.


15. I'm disappointed that Lindsey Vonn posed for the SI Swimsuit Issue.



16. I get mad when people show sour grapes over their silver medals. Wahhhhh. Dial whine-one-one. Call the wahmbulance.



17. I hate this spin in pairs figure skating:



Ugly.


18. I'm a huge fan of Apolo Ohno. Whenever we see something with him on TV, Dylan yells, "Look, Mom! It's your favorite guy!!" I'm sad he didn't get a gold this year. Booo. Short track is so crazy and unpredictable. But he set a medals record for winter Olympics with his 8 medals. I'm proud of the little man.



19. Perhaps it is a requirement for ice dancer males to have long, nasty, shaggy hair. Except for the gold medal winner. His hair was okay. But every single other guy in the ice dancing had nasty-asty hair.



19. Joannie Rochette. So brave. So beautiful. I'm so glad she won a medal. Kim Yu-Na was fantastic. As for Mao Asada, she was also amazing, but as far as her reaction to winning silver, see #16.



20. I'm digging the gloved look on figure skaters. Very cool.



21. The Canadian short track men all look like they are from the seventies. That is a whole lotta hair they all have.


22. It makes me happy when a chubby dude wins an Olympic Gold Medal (Steve Holcom - bobsled). Hooray for chubby, yet in-shape people. That's me. Well, that was me until I got pregnant and got too sick to exercise.


23. The men's nordic 50K. Oh. My. Gosh. That's 31 miles. 31 miles of pumping your arms and legs non-stop. They even have to change skis three different times because the wax wears off!!!! Can you BELIEVE that??? Ben said he heard on NPR that the nordic 50K guys were probably the most athletic people in all of the winter olympics, because of how grueling that is. I just couldn't get over it.


Thanks, Olympics. I spend a LOT of time on the couch, and you made the last two weeks enjoyable for me. I'll miss you.

3 comments:

Soozee Carmichael said...

I completely agree! Shaun White IS amazing, and Evan Lysecek IS a god!!! Oh my gosh, I don't usually watch the olympics (I just don't have time) and this time I got sucked in to men's figure skating, which I thought was weird at first, but then I got hooked and was SO excited when we won gold because lets be honest, we where better! And did you watch the bobsled runs??? That's right, we ROCK!!!

Nat said...

I usually prefer women's figure skating to the men's, but this year I was SOOOO into the men's, that when I saw women's I was like MEH. And yeah, I watched Shawn White's run, and holy crap it was so much cooler than all the women's runs. YAY Olympics!

lexykay said...

I'm sad about the olympics being over. why can't they just compete like that all the time?! haha. and i agree with a lot of what you said. the skiing is AMAZING. i can't imagine skiing like that; watching their knees makes me jealous. and... is it just me or did shaun white get kind of hot this olympics? not bad for a redhead. and CURLING. uhhhh we've been talking a lot about it in my kinesiology classes. i think it's totally dumb and i had a rant on it on facebook and some girl got mad that i said it was a dumb sport. its like shuffleboard that old men on cruise ships play.... but at an "athletic" level. it's one of the only sports you could play ALL day and not be physically tired. it's how i feel about ping pong as an olympic sport. i mean; have your national and worlds championship games, but leave "sports" like that out of the olympics.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...