Monday, March 1, 2010

White Men Can't Jump

I should revise that. 33-year-old white men can't jump. Or run very fast.

Ben is on a new health kick. His office is giving him a membership at this amazing gym for a fraction of the cost of a normal membership, as long as he works out there three times per week. I'm just a teensy bit jealous. But obviously I don't even speedwalk at this juncture, so I can save my jealousy for six weeks postpardem.

His office also organized a basketball team; they play other businesses' teams every Wednesday. Or other teams of just random guys that like to play basketball.

Ben's team hasn't won yet, the poor blokes. As far as Ben can tell, his team is the oldest and most out-of-shape team in the league.

I took the kids with me to one game. (And I haven't been back. I just don't feel like chasing three kids around. Call me crazy.) They were playing guys that looked maybe 21 years old or so. And Ben's team is all thirty-somethings. I took some shots of Ben.

Standing and looking up instead of rebounding:

Walking instead of running:


More walking...


I wouldn't be doing much better, that's for sure. Dylan kept asking why Daddy's team wasn't making any points. I told him was because Daddy's team was older and a little bit more out of shape than the other team.

Dylan: How old is Daddy?

Me: 33.

Dylan: Whoa.... He IS old.

I remember thinking people in their thirties were old. And I was thinking that when I was, like, 20. Hahaha! I remember watching Blast from the Past, where the main guy is thirty and looking for someone to marry, and I was like, "Dude, 30 is wayyyyy too old. The writers should have made the main guy 25." Perspective changes when you age, that's for sure. To me, 30 is YOUNG, now.

Sadie spent the game chatting up some pretty girlfriends of the twenty-something basketball players. She is a friendly little lady. Micah spent the game throwing toys on the ground, and then getting mad at me for not picking them up. Dylan spent the game asking if he could go talk to daddy, and me saying, "Not now, honey." So yeah. I'll lend any further support to Ben from afar. I'll send him mental high-fives.

Slides:

2 comments:

Nat said...

Good for him for actually going out and trying! Walking isn't as good as running, but it's better than sitting.

Anonymous said...

That's great that he's working out more! I don't think Mark would even use the membership even if it was free! *SIGH*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...