Thursday, March 18, 2010

Our Do-Over

You may or may not recall that mine and Ben's Valentine's Day was less than stellar. We finally had a decent date a couple of weeks ago to make up for it.

I really wanted to go to the temple - we haven't gone in a couple of months, and I'm feeling really guilty about that. Plus, I'm just kind of yearning for the peace that the temple gives me. I love going. But my Terrestrial Kingdom-minded husband talked me into going with him to Alice in Wonderland instead:


Johnny Depp is amazing.

And the movie, as a whole, was awesome. I loved it. We were thinking of going to it as a family, and I'm soooo glad we didn't. It's only rated PG, but the violence is a little much for kids. Rotting, decapitated heads. Eyeballs getting gouged out by swords. Fingers that no longer belong to a hand. I think Dylan would have had nightmares, and I think Sadie would have been disturbed beyond measure.

Then we went to Ben's favorite sushi restaurant. Which may be the only sushi restaurant in the city, actually. He is a sushi-aholic.


I'd rather eat bird terd than sushi. Seriously. Raw fish - gross. Seaweed - gross. They did have like five things on the menu that weren't sushi, and I chose the Veggies and Noodles. And then I had them add chicken. I was really hoping that it was going to taste like Mongolian barbecue, and I wasn't disappointed. Ohhhh, it was heavenly. Vegetables are my enemies lately, but these just tasted superb.

Our date was just what the doctor ordered. I need one of these per weekend, I think. But dates and baby-sitters cost money, ya know? So I guess I'll settle for the every-now-and-then date. Maybe someday we'll have the luxury of going on a date once a week.

Oh. And I got Ben some jeans as a late Valentine's Day present. He didn't like them (he is notoriously picky about pants), so he took them back and got some that he really likes. I went to Motherhood Maternity and found a couple of dresses that might have looked okay with my new, amazing shoes, but I just cannot stand the thought of buying something that I can't wear after September of this year. This is DEFINITELY my last pregnancy, and I really don't want to waste any money on maternity clothes that I won't ever use again. So my shoes will sit in their box until the fine day that I can shop in a regular store again. In many moons.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I sooooo want to go see Alice... had a friend take their son to see it (kinda raised an eyebrow about that one... the previews definitely look adult content) still haven't heard how that went... hmmm may have to go call them now.

Anyhow, which Sushi place did you go to? The only one I ever went to closed a few years ago due to the owner being a ... umm... slub?

Glad you had a good date, and I totally understand not wanting to spend money on clothes you can't wear in a few months.

Kar said...

Apes, it was Blue Hashi. What is a slub? Hahaha! I've never heard that word before, but I like it.

Emily Empey said...

how fun! Sounds like you did make up for it! I dont know if i want to go to Alice in Wonderland- I never liked that show as a child! so yeah i am not sure on that one!!

I am too hoping you are having a girl! I would LOOOOVE to make bows for you!! :)

J + A Humphreys said...

Oh man - I totally agree on the weekly date! We usually have a date quartely or bi-annually....for reals. :) Not many babysitters down here that I want to pay for. Sounds so fun though. Justin is a sushi man too. No sushi for me, thank you. I appreciate your candidness on your blog. It's refreshing. Being a mom is hard stuff, especially when you are tired and feel like crap. You are doing great though. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked the movie! Mark and I are nervous to see it. That noodles and veggies with chicken sounds so good right now, at 9:32 in the morning! LOL Only during pregnancy!!

And I totally understand that you don't want to buy a $30 dress that you'll only wear until Sept! Hope the time comes fast. I love those shoes!!

lexykay said...

i thought alice was SOOO good! i really loved the way they redid it. Johnny did amazing as usual... so good. i also loved the cat character a lot more than in the cartoon... but I'm sad they didn't have the "the time has come the walrus said" part. still amazing!

Nat said...

What a fun date! Although I have zero desire to watch Alice. And yes, I would love to go on weekly dates. How awesome would that be?!? *sigh* maybe in a few years, when Jake will be old enough to stay at home with the other kids. Then we wouldn't have to pay a babysitter! THAT would be nice.

Lyndsay said...

We went at watched the late night Alice on our anniversary. I HATE HATE HATE the Disney version (and every other version) of that movie, but I really enjoyed Tim Burton's version. We even saw it in 3-D which was fun and Autumn slept through the whole thing! However, you make that hubby still take you to the temple at least one more time before that baby comes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...