Saturday, March 27, 2010

Too Much Information


I know that it's a bit oxymoronic for me to be talking about someone who gave me a bit too much info, because I'm the Overshare Queen, but I think this story is really funny.

My friend, Megs, and I went window shopping a couple of weeks ago. We're both preggars, and we wanted to take a looky at the stuff in Motherhood and at Target. When we entered Motherhood, we had a few blessed moments of solitary looking until the store clerk came up to us.

Store Clerk: Hello, ladies, how are you doing today?

Us: Oh, fine. How are you?

Store Clerk: Well, I'm just going absolutely crazy here. I mean, I love my job, but there are no WINDOWS in this store. And I just need to have windows.

Us: [Uncomfortably] Oh, yeah, we can see that...

Store Clerk: I used to work at Barnes and Noble in the coffee shop. Now that place had windows. It was so awesome. I loved my job. But then they totally fired me.

Us: [Glancing at each other like, "Is this for reals?"] Oh, wow, that sucks...

Store Clerk: Yeah. It was so unfair. I didn't know that my son had diabetes. And he went into diabetic shock and almost died, and then they had to life flight him down to Salt Lake. And I was on the life flight with him. And Barnes and Noble called me and were like, "Why aren't you at work?" And I was like, "My son is DYING." And I had to stay down there for, like, a few days, you know? To be with my son. And they totally fired me over it.

Us: [Edging away] Oh, wow, diabetes. That is really horrible.

Store Clerk: Oh, it's awful. But he's doing okay now.

Us: Oh, good....

Store Clerk: And I heard that they may have an opening at Barnes and Noble again. And even though they totally don't deserve me, I'm going to apply for it, because I already know all of the different things you put into the different drinks, you know? And hopefully they won't have hard feelings about me going to Salt Lake with my son. But they really shouldn't. I mean, he was in diabetic SHOCK. And if I get my old job back, I can be in a place that has windows again!!!

Us: Man, that would be really great...

Store Clerk: Well, is there anything you're looking for?

Us: No, just looking...

Store Clerk: Okay, well, let me know.

And she finally walked away.

It's not that I don't feel badly for her for her son, and losing her job, and all, but, um, SHE'S NOT MY FRIEND. It was really bizarre. And really funny. She must have been desperate for conversation.

9 comments:

Emily Empey said...

hhahaha oh my word! that cracks me up!!

Unknown said...

Poor girl... she probably doesn't have any sense of appropriateness. I always feel bad for people like that, mainly because it really makes their lives hard. Because of that, she probably doesn't realize that B&N won't hire her back because they already know all her shortcomings and maybe have had other reasons for firing her as well, but that was the final straw (so to speak).

It is always a little comical to me when people act like they have known you FOREVER, when you just met them and probably won't ever see them again.

Anonymous said...

LOL Yes, I remember that and I thought it was very weird that she shared so much of her life story with us!!! I thought you were very nice to her. I, on the other hand, kept trying to edge further and further away. Hehe

Nat said...

Sometimes I overshare on the response to "How are you?" as well. Everyone just wants to hear "fine". Why can't I always just say "fine"? Hmm.

The Dillons said...

I would say that she did want conversation. I also give too much information when people ask how I am doing, but it usually isn't that much info and definitely not to strangers! It is hard to work in the mall and not strike up conversation with the customers, but still that is quite the story! (YAY I finally commented on a post). Please don't give up on me and keep up with my blog. You are a more faithful reader on my blog then one of my sisters :)...speaking of too much information haha!

Camille said...

So funny - my mom and I had that same thing happen once when we were at Sears - I was like 7 and I still remember it because we didn't get away so quickly - she talked to my mom for over an hour about her dead mother in laws ashes that she was hiding from her husband's family - to US total strangers at the SEARS!
By the way - I totally love that you have put Gage's ultrasound up with the rest of the family!

anjie said...

Did you know that if your child is life flighted that they do not allow parents in the helecopter.

My neighbor is the all time to much information lady. If you talk to her for more than 2 minutes you will know that her husband has no sperm. I'm not exagerating. She tells EVERYONE!

Patty said...

Some people. Oversharing can make me uncomfortable. I feel pressured to overshare in return.

Lyndsay said...

Ha ha! People probably feel that way about me. I can't believe how I can't keep my mouth shut sometimes. But, I don't know that I'd divulge that much info!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...