Friday, March 5, 2010

We need a do-over.

Every year, our wedding anniversary is Ben's duty, and Valentine's Day is my duty. But we have a little problem with that program. Ben makes most of the money. So when our anniversary comes around, he does all of these amazing things for me. When Valentine's Day comes around, he won't let me spend money to do amazing things for him. This year, I wanted to go to the temple and then out to sushi (not my choice, but I knew it would make his day). I got a baby-sitter. I made reservations at the restaurant. I made plans to go buy him a pair of jeans as a gift. When I told him of my plans, he frowned. "Oh, Kar, we don't even have one penny to spend on Valentine's Day this year," he said.


I frowned, too.

So I canceled our reservations and our baby-sitter and pouted for a few days. On the Saturday night that we were supposed to be on our date, we went to Wal-Mart to get some groceries as a family. And Ben let me get some makeup to cover up my Pregnancy Pizza Face. (I'm not usually a foundation-wearer, but it's become a necessity at this time to do something about this face of mine.) The makeup cost a pretty penny, and I told him we could just skip the makeup to save money, but he told me that could be my Valentine's Day gift:

And may I just say that foundation has come a long way in the past few years. I hardly feel like I'm wearing it, and I like that. It may be a habit that needs to stay after the pregnancy is over.

We just got our tax return, and most of it is going to not-fun-but-necessary places, but I asked Ben if we could use a teeny weeny bit to have a Redemption Valentine's Date. And if I could buy him some jeans. And if I could buy myself a cheap maternity dress to go with my amazing shoes. (Yes, I know that this means I will have gotten two Valentine's gifts. But I'm truly, truly okay with that!) And he said YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! So I need to call myself a sitter.

Holidays are very emotional for me. Especially this time of year. I just need something to cling to, something to look forward to, during these long, cold, stuck-inside months. So when we can't celebrate, even in a small way, I struggle. So this will be really great for me. I suppose I should shower and go to the mall, eh? And drag my naughty children along.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, don't take your kids!!! Wait and lets go together tomorrow! I'm totally serious! I'm in a shopping mood too, even though I only have $100 to my name for the next week and a half!! UGH! Don't you hate money, but love it at the same time?

Unknown said...

NO NO KIDS! Trying on stuff with kids is NIGHTMARISH. Seriously, pawn them off! The world won't think any worse of you for it :)

Nat said...

Sometimes I'm really into Valentine's day, and sometimes I don't care. I wonder what makes me like that. And this year I'm really really looking forward to Brock's b-day. Don't know why. But yes, I understand the want to do something nice during the dreary winter.

Lynita said...

I know what ya mean, winter is rough and sometimes you feel so desparate for a sense of normalcy and attention. I am glad you got a do-over. Our V-day was lame... again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...