Wednesday, June 9, 2010

AR! AR! AR! AR! AR!

My title is my feeble attempt to put into writing that thing that Tim the Toolman Taylor used to do in Home Improvement whenever he was talking about male bonding.

Our ward had its annual father/son campout, and Ben and Dyls went. Why didn't Ben bring Micah? Need you ask? Micah can be.... difficult.

I was probably the cutest mom/wife ever. I sent them with ample supplies of snacks and soda for if they got hungry in the middle of the night. I reminded myself of my own mom, when she would pack us for weekends at my grandparents' cabin. She packed everything but the kitchen sink, and it was wonderful. We always had choice snacks on which to nibble. I even packed some card games for Dylan and Ben to play if they got bored. Another move my mom would have made.

And then I sent the blokes out the door, admonishing Ben to take pics. He really didn't take many close-ups, which I thought was so weird. I think he hurried and took some pics, and then put the camera away so he could eat and start fires and do other manly things.

Dylan was sooooo worried all that day. "Are there going to be bears?" "Are there going to be wolves?" His class had gone to the museum, where they have this big display on the evolution of dogs, and apparently, wolves are his new fear. I knew they were camping by Blacktail Lake, and I assured him that the place was devoid of wildlife, except for rattlesnakes, and it's too cold for rattlesnakes. Take a look at the lack of forest there:

Yeah. No bears there, I can assure you.

There was a basketball area where the kids played:

The menfolk cooked dinner AND breakfast for the attendees. This is my friend, Patty's, husbie, Ken:

The man loves to cook.

Ben did take several pictures of the sunset, which was nice:

There were dark clouds looming, so you can just see the sliver of the sun setting behind the mountains.


Here's a shot of the menfolk gathered around the fire:

Ben said the boys spent most of the night looking for stuff to throw into the fire. So funny. Boys will be boys.


As soon as they all settled into their tents for the night, it rained and was extremely windy all night long, from like 10:30 until 6 a.m. There were some leakage problems in the tent we borrowed, too - apparently Dylan's spare pair of undies got soaking wet. So it wasn't a pleasant night for them at all. I felt badly for them. Probably a little too early in the season for camping. At least in Idaho.
Slides:

4 comments:

Mindy H. said...

Ah yes. Priesthood campouts. I have heard tales of such things. I think those were probably my dad's least favorite father/son activities but I know my brothers always came home with a lot of fun stories.

I wish your guys would have had better weather. Wet undies? The thought makes me so thankful to be a member of the Relief Society!

Unknown said...

Our old ward used to do a family camp out, I really liked that idea except the youngest was too little to allow us to go without a LOAD of effort... and now I'm in another ward that does only Father/son camp outs. Apparently my daughter and myself aren't supposed to like camping :P

Anonymous said...

How fun... Kind of! LOL That's too bad about the rain and wind and Dyl's underwear! Mark isn't much of an outdoorsy guy so I don't think he'll ever take the boys on one of those. Oh, well, at least he won't come back complaining about how horrible it was!:)

Lyndsay said...

I love those overnighters, so we can have a girl's night in! I usually gain 5 pounds from all the crappy food we buy and we watch a girly movie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...