Thursday, June 17, 2010

Delusions



Oh, Dylan and his friend, Breckyn, make quite a pair.

A pair of liars.

I don't think they mean to lie. I think that both of them make up a story, and then convince themselves that the story is true. Pathological liars, I guess.

So last month, on a Sunday, Dylan said, "Mom, Breckyn's birthday is this week."

"Is it?" I asked.

"Yep."

"That's nice."

Breckyn came over that day to ask if Dylan could play. (He does this every Sunday. And, every Sunday, we have to remind him that Dylan can't play on Sundays.) I said, "Hey, Breckyn, is it true that your birthday is this week?"

"Yep," he said, nodding solemnly.

"What day?"

"Wednesday."

On Monday, Dylan came home from Breckyn's and said, "Mom, Breckyn is having a birthday party at his house on Wednesday right after school. We need to get him a present."

Skeptical, I said, "Dyls, don't you think his grandmas would have called me to tell me about it?"

Dylan, "I don't know. All I know is that he's having a party."

"Don't you think they would have brought over an invitation?"

"I don't know. All I know is that he's having a party."

I should have called the grandmas then and there. Against my better judgement, Dylan and I went to the store and got Breckyn a birthday present.

Wednesday rolled around, and Dylan came home from school. "OKAYMOMIJUSTGRABBEDBRECKYN'SPRESENTI'MGOINGOVERTOHISPARTYRIGHTNOW!" he screamed, before slamming the door shut behind him.

Five minutes later, a dejected Dylan comes home, with Breckyn's present in his hand. "Breckyn isn't even home," he wailed.

Mmm-hmmm. I think I even said that out loud at the time. Like a wise black lady. Mmmm-hmmm. "Dyls, I should have known you weren't telling me the truth. Now we got this present for nothing."

"But Breckyn told me it was today. It's him who is the liar, not me!"

We put the present up high on the mantel so that Micah couldn't get it, and we decided to wait until we saw Breckyn again to ask what on earth was going on.

He came over on his bike like an hour later. I answered the door. "Breckyn, I thought you had a birthday party today!" I exclaimed.

"Nope. My party is tomorrow. It's at Leo's Place. At one o'clock."

"Are you SURE?"

"Yep," he said, again nodding solemnly.

"Well, Dylan can't go. That's in the middle of school for him." [Breckyn was in Kindergarten this year.]

"Oh."

"I'm calling your grandmas."

"Okay, but I'm telling you, it's tomorrow at Leo's Place at one o'clock."

"We'll see, Breckyn."

So I call Breckyn's grandmas' house. [He lives with his grandma and great-grandma. His is a sad story.]

"Hello?"

"Hey, Bonnie, this is Karlenn."

"How are you?"

"Fine. Hey, Breckyn just told us he has a birthday party at Leo's Place tomorrow at one. I wanted to call and make sure that was true."

"Uh! NOOOO. We had a party for just his family at Leo's last Saturday..."

Totally delusional, these little boys are. It kills me.

Breckyn did end up having a little bowling party (I think it was just him, Dylan, and his grandma) the following Saturday. Bonnie called me herself to tell me about it. That's the only way to get the truth of any situation when it involves Dylan and Breckyn.

4 comments:

Lynita said...

I think it is an age thing, because Kaitlyn is a pathological liar lately too! So sorry they put you through that.

Unknown said...

Wow, I sooooo hate it when you can't tell who is lying... I've had to start putting both of my eldest kids in Time Out at the same time due to not being able to tell who is lying and who isn't... I don't want the liar to think that they can get away with it EVER. Unfortunately this makes the punishment hit the non-liar as well. I hate it, but hopefully soon it will chill...

Anonymous said...

I hate it when you can't tell if kids are lying!!:P I'm not looking forward to the story telling stage with Jonas. He's already started lying:P Why do they have to grow up??!

Lyndsay said...

K, so Ryan's friend has been saying for a month he's having a birthday party this week so whenI read this it just cracked me up. I did talk to the mom yesterday at church, and yes, there really is a party! Two parties this week (each for different kids)that I have to go buy presents for. Ugh. I wish 11 year old boys liked homemade gifts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...