Sunday, June 20, 2010

Frugalisto, or OCD?

In my couponing journeys, I heard tell of a website called Fabulessly Frugal. It has become my couponing bible. Sooo helpful to a money dunce like me. Anyways, the people who run the blog call us couponers, "Frugalistas." Very cute.

My gramps (forgive two posts in a row about him) is a Frugalisto, I've decided (I masculinized that Frugalista thing - didja catch that?).

He told me this system he has for his sheets. He will make his bed with a new set of sheets. He will sleep on one side of the bed for one week. Then, instead of washing the sheets at the end of the week, he sleeps on the other side of the bed for one week. And nope, no washing of sheets yet. At this point, he turns each sheet inside out, the side that wasn't exposed to his body during the first two weeks. So he turns the bottom sheet inside out and the top sheet inside out. And then he'll do it again - sleep on one side for one week, and then sleep on the other side for one week.

And THEN he will wash his sheets. So funny. So cute. So quirky. So frugal. And maybe a little OCD. Maybe that's where I get my OCD-ness - from my gramps...

I wear my clothes in order. Did you know that? It's a bit OCD of me. I take the shirt from the right side of my closet and wear that for the day. After I wash it, I put it on the left side of my closet. True story. I don't do it to be frugal, though. I do it so I'm not wearing the same thing over and over again. And so that I don't have to make decisions. Ah, look, there's the shirt I'm going to wear today. If I don't feel like wearing the shirt, I skip to the next shirt on the right side. And I do it because it's deeply satisfying to me. Some small thing I can control in my uncontrollable life. :)

5 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Okay, the thing about the sheet thing that bugs me is if he doesn't have a mattress cover then all those oils and stuff from his body that are on the sheet when he turns it inside out are getting all over the mattress, but maybe that's just me! Otherwise I think it's great!

Good job keeping up with the couponing. I used to be so good at getting good deals, but now just don't have the time. I'll try not to be jealous!! And I love the shirt idea, I may have to steal that!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing Lyndsay. Even if he does have a mattress cover what if he doesn't wash it? LOL That is very frugal and cute though.

I really need to get into the couponing. I'm getting the coupons from the paper, but I'm not feeling very motivated now. LOL:P

Patty said...

The shirts. I wish I could do this. I have tried this. But my wardrobe doesn't consist of all clothes I like. I mean- I like them all- but they don't all fit me. Even when I'm not pregnant. Maybe when I am staying home I'll adopt this easy way of living. I think it's genius.

Mindy H. said...

I think the world would be a much better place if we were all a little more frugal and/or obsessive about order. I like your wardrobe plan. I am totally going to try that out...as soon as I get my closet cleaned up!

Nat said...

I used to do the same thing with shirts, but then I'd get to a shirt I didn't like, and it would stay in the front for forever. So now I put my clothes in rainbow color order. :)

Gramps is so cute. He's very frugal. I think a lot of people his age are, that lived through the Depression. If only we'd all be that way.

You've been the posty poster. Go you! Sorry I've sucked at comments lately. I seriously haven't even been on my blog in forever.

I'm glad that you've been doing the couponing thing with me. It keeps me going.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...