Friday, December 24, 2010

One Day of Fall

This fall was really weird. It was super warm. Then it snowed like two feet, breaking a lot of branches in all the trees around town - they still had all of their leaves, and the branches couldn't handle the weight of both leaves and snow. I still need to go saw off a few hanging branches in our own backyard, actually...

Anyways. So then the trees all dropped their leaves in, like, one day. It wasn't gradual. I decided to take advantage of the billions of leaves in my yard and rake them all up into an enormous pile for the kids to jump in.

Unfortunately, there were 30 mph winds that day, so many of the leaves I raked blew right out of the pile and back against the chain-link fence, but oh well.

The kiddos jumped in the leaves when they got home from school:


I love this picture:







It was so windy and cold - Micah preferred to watch from inside:

But the temptation got to him, and he ran only to the outer edge of the pile, holding Sadie's purse, and squealing joyously:


He's such a girly-man.

The very next day, before I had the chance to put the leaves into garbage bags, it snowed like two feet again. Those leaves are still sitting there, under our big maple tree in our backyard, with deep layer of snow on top of them. That area of the lawn is going to be soooo D-E-A-D in the spring. Sad. Not that our lawn was the picture of lush health, anyways... I suppose I should attempt to scoop up both leaves and snow and bag them up, but let's face it - I just really don't have the energy to do that. I think I'd rather have a dead patch of grass than do that. :)

6 comments:

Lyndsay said...

We've had lots of snow this year, and it's sticking around, which is so unusual! We're supposed to get another 6-12 inches tomorrow night!! I agree, what happened to Fall?!?!

Camille said...

It will be fine. Just got pull them off first thing in the spring at it will be all good! It won't kill your lawn.

Mindy H. said...

Fall? Oh, yeah,I think I remember that ONE day. We really have had weird weather this year. And I am with you on the leaving the leaves till spring. Can't we just think of them as extra insulation for the grass?

Anonymous said...

I didn't like this fall! I didn't get any pictures of the kids in the leaves. Oh, well, though! I love that first picture of Sadie! Cute!:)

lexykay said...

this exact same thing happened to us! we have a huge tree in our front yard and a few leaves would fall each day, then i came out one day and BOOM! it's like the entire tree threw up on our yard. we raked it, then were going to put it in bags but it snowed before we could. what a weird winter we've been having

Emily Empey said...

I LOVE the pictures!! Leaves are so fun to play in! But i would be like micah! Watch in the warm house! haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...