Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I really hope this does the trick.


I think this picture is really, really funny. I did a Google search for images associated with Prevacid, and this made me laugh so hard that I just had to put it on my blog.

Anyways. Took the Gagemeister to the doc today. He thinks it's acid reflux, but they're going to do a test on Friday to see if there's something physiologically wrong, like pyloric stenosis or a stomach that's twisted around, or something like that.

They took his blood, which was hard for me to watch. I mean, I didn't watch the needle go in (I couldn't), but I had to hold him while they stretched out his skinny little arm, tied that harsh rubber rope thing around his bicep, and then sat and tried to poke around for a vein. The lab lady was training a phlebotomist. We got the trainee. Gage's arm is going to be black and blue tomorrow. Sigh. People need hands-on experience in cases like this, so I understand. But not on my kid. :)

So we'll get the blood test results tomorrow, and then the GI test results on Friday afternoon. Until then, the doc is having me put Gage on Prevacid. They were supposed to have called it in to the pharmacy, but when I went tonight (several hours after we saw the doc), the pharmacist said they hadn't called it in. So I called and left a message. And the doc's office called me back and said that they sent the prescription via fax several hours ago. So now I have to call the pharmacy again. I love it when I have to help people to do their jobs. :)

So we'll see how it goes. I really worry that his barfing has led to some other problems. For instance, the doc checked to see if Gage is holding his head up, and Gage isn't doing so well in that department. When the doc lifted him up from the table, Gage wasn't holding his head very well - it was drooping a bit. When the doc put him on his tummy, he wasn't lifting his head. And when he held him straight up, Gage's head bobbled around a little bit. So I'm freaking out, like, "He is barfing, so he's not getting enough nutrition, and he's not taking very good naps, probably because he's hungry because he barfs up too much, so now he's going to get developmental delays!!!" Because that's exactly what happened to Micah, folks. He wasn't getting enough food, therefore he was hungry, therefore he wouldn't nap enough, therefore he now has a developmental delay.

I just feel like a really bad mother. It seems crazy that three out of my four children had feeding problems as newborns. Sadie was my only normal eater. So is it coincidence, or am I doing something horribly wrong???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Kar!! It's so hard to watch your kids go through hard times. I hope the dr. can figure out what's going on!! And do not blame yourself!! You are doing everything you can. Sometimes you can't control what happens to your kids when you're a mom. Actually, I should say most of the time. It's totally not you and I'm glad you're getting Gage the care that he needs. That's what a mom's job is so you're doing wonderful:)

Emily Empey said...

You are NOT a horrible mother and dont ever blame yourself!! I hope this Prevacid is all he needs and that it is not Pyloric Stenosis! Its so hard to watch their little harms get poked!! HORRIBLE! When Mary was 4 months old they clipped her frenulum! HORRIBLE!!!

Unknown said...

You are an awesome mom. While I know it may not feel like it you really do go the extra mile with your kids in making sure that they are okay.

Just because 3 of your kids had eating problems doesn't mean you are a bad mom, honestly it could be genetic if not purely coincidence. Either way you know what to be on the lookout for and you are doing your best to be proactive.

I can totally relate to watching your kids (especially when they are babies) get poked and prodded... most horrible thing ever for a mom to have to "just" watch and let happen.

Again, you're an awesome mom Kar! I look up to you and admire how much effort you put in to making sure you are doing all you can to make sure your kids are doing okay.

Here's to crossing my fingers and all that jazz hoping that there is an easy solution for Gage.

Nat said...

The poor bubba. I swear that Dyl spit up way more than Gage, though, but maybe it's just my imagination, and he did fine. So, who knows. He's still growing, though, and the other day when I was holding him (and he was wacking me with his bowling ball head) he was all about holding his head up a ton, so maybe he wasn't in the mood at the doctor's office.

Mindy H. said...

I hope that you have already recieved some good news about the little dude's tummy. Maybe he and Micah are getting all of their issues over with early so that they can be perfect, trouble-free children and teens... I will keep you all in my prayers untill then.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...