Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Confession

Okay. This happened like two months ago, but I'm still so upset about it that I haven't blogged about it yet. But it's time. Time to let it out. Time for catharsis.

The scene: Papa Kelseys. Beads was still here, and the whole fam damily went there to eat. Grandkids, kids, parents, spouses, the whole she-bang. Ben met us there after work, so he was in a different car. So when we were all leaving, he got in his car and headed home, and I started loading my kids in my car. The kids were being huge jerks, yelling, screaming, sitting in each others' seats, blah blah blah. Same old crap. And Beads was talking to me, and my parents were talking to me, and Nat was talking to me, and it was just crazy.

So I get my kids loaded up and in the car, and I drive home. Lex called me, I think, so I was chatting with her, and someone kept beeping on my other line, but I don't like to answer the other line when I'm talking to someone. I think it's rude. Unless I'm expecting a really, really important call from a doctor or something. So I'm like, sheesh, who keeps calling me over and over? So I got off with Lex. I was like one minute from my house when the mysterious caller called again.

It was Dad. And it had been Dad, like ten times before that. "Kar," he said, "Um, you left your baby in the parking lot."

Oh. My. GOSH.

I left my baby, my precious, amazing, wonderful child, in the parking lot of Papa Kelsey's, in the dead of winter! What is WRONG with me??? I would not have realized that I left him there until I got all the way home and unloaded everyone.

To say that I freaked out is to put it mildly. Luckily, Mom, Dad, and Beads were still in the parking lot when I left without Gage, so they were able to save the poor little thing. And Beads brought him home for me. She was just a few minutes behind me. But still. What the H???

Beads thinks it's because it was so crazy, with the kids being loud, and everyone blabbing. She thinks I just got distracted.

So there you have it. My horrible, awful confession. Jeez. I don't know where my brain is sometimes.

8 comments:

Emily Empey said...

hahahah Oh Kar! That is crazy! I am sure it is because it was just crazy!! I would have felt sick! Glad they were still in the parking lot!

The Dillons said...

Oh my! That is a horrible experience. I am so glad your family was there, but that probably the reason you left him. Sorry girl!

Unknown said...

Oh hon! That sucks! Glad the family was there... that being said... BEN! WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YOU HELP LOAD UP THE KIDLETS!? You get the benefit of a quiet ride home... you can splurge and help load them up!

I'm glad everything turned out alright!

Anonymous said...

Oh, no!! I probably would've done the same thing if it had been so crazy. I'm glad your parents and Beads were still there and were able to bring him home for you! ANd um... I agree with April!! My first thought when you said Ben left was, Why didn't he help you get the kids in the car??!!!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

I would have freaked out as well, but it does sound like you were pretty distracted!! Don't be too hard on yourself! Thankfully your family was there and could help you out...and hopefully you will never relive it!! (PS. I totally agree with Aprillium, I would have made Ben help you!!! haha)

Mindy H. said...

That is a scary feeling,but you are far from alone. My parents left Mike and Greg all over that city when they were little.

Lynita said...

SOOOOOO scary! I must say that I have to agree with Beads, when things are that chaotic anything can happen. I am happy that the only harm done was on your psyche, however don't be too hard on yourself cuz my parents left my sister in AZ and drove all the way home to California 10 hours! At least she was asleep @ my grandparents house! LOL!

Nat said...

Now you have a story to tell Gage when he's a new parent! (Don't tell him this when he's a teenager, though, because then maybe he'll hold it over you with teen angst.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...