Monday, February 28, 2011

Memory Monday, because I'm a copycat.

My sis, Nat, does the cutest thing on her blog - Memory Monday. Here is her most recent Memory Monday post. Cute, cute, cute.

I was thinking about a long lost friend of mine the other day - Bec. This Memory Monday post is dedicated to her, wherever she is. I've tried to find her on facebook, I've tried to google her.... nada. I miss her lots and lots.

Bec was in my French class my sophomore year of college. She was so stinkin' FUN. I needed fun that year. All my guy friends were on missions and I felt a little weird. Thank goodness for Bec.

She was teeny, like, four-foot-eleven. She shopped in the kids' section of the Gap and got clothes like half off that way. She had really full lips, like Angelina Jolie. And her eyebrows arched way high, like she was always happily surprised.

Bec always made me feel so good about myself. She treated me like I was the smartest person she had ever met. She was always so excited to see me. She had, like, ten bazillion friends, but she treated me like I was the most interesting, fun person she had ever met.

Four funny stories about Bec.

We had to study French for like ten hours per week, I swear. It was tough stuff. I had to take so much stinkin' French. It was because I chose to get a Bachelor of Arts degree instead of a Bachelor of Science degree. It was, take a billion math classes that you'll never use, or take a billion foreign language classes that you'll never use. I chose foreign language, French, because I had already taken it in high school and thought it would be easier. Boy, was I wrong. By the time I finished my foreign language requirement, I was taking 400-level French classes. We were reading French novels, and taking 3-hour-long essay exams, all in French. Killer. The minute I walked out of my last essay exam, I mentally shoved French out of my brain. I know a few phrases now, but could I ever converse with a French person? No way.

Anyways. One night, Bec and I were studying, and I was quizzing her on some vocabulary. I asked her for the French word for something, and she closed her eyes for just a sec. And then the second turned into a few seconds. Finally, I go, "Um, Bec?" She woke up with a start and said, "Whoa, I just had the coolest dream!!!" I still laugh about that. She had a full dream in just a few seconds. Dreams are weird.

Second story. There was this weird, skinny, closet-like room in her apartment that nobody used for anything. She and her roommates dubbed it The Spooning Room. That is where they would all go to spoon with their boyfriends. They put a black light in there. It was funny.

Third story. Bec and I had a friend in our class named Aaron. He was really skinny and serious. He reminded me of Michael Stipe, but with kind of a weird bowl haircut. He actually ended up going to France on his mission! So did our other friend from French class, Mike O. I wonder if I would have been called to France, had I applied for a mission. Anyways, Aaron was supposed to study with us one night, but he blew us off to go on a date with some girl. We decided to get back at him. We showed up at his apartment, and his roommate let us in. We asked his roommate to show us which food in the refridgerator was Aaron's. There wasn't much in there. We noticed that he had some packaged, shredded cheese. We looked at each other and grinned wickedly. We went into Aaron's room, put the shredded cheese under his pillow on his bed, and hightailed it out of there, laughing hysterically.

We couldn't wait to see him the next day in class. When he walked in, we both had huge smiles on our faces, eyebrows raised in anticipation (Bec's were already raised). He sat down casually, glanced at us, then looked away, saying, "Well, I sure had a cheesy night last night...." We laughed and laughed.

Fourth story. I wasn't there when this happened, but this shows how spazzy Bec and her roomies were. They had a fish tank in their apartment. All of their friends would buy fish that represented them, and put them in the tank. It was a cute idea. I never got around to it. Anyways. There was this one fish that was a huge jerk. He would pick on all of the other fish. One night, Bec and her roomies were up late, watching the jerk fish. They decided to put him in Time Out by trapping him in the little net against the wall. So funny. When they let him out of time out, he hadn't learned his lesson. So (and this is where it gets really weird, but still funny) Bec's roomie decides to really teach this fish a lesson. She poured herself a glass of water, caught the fish in the net, put it in the water, and then swallowed the fish!!! Who would do this? I don't know. A crazy person. I guess it was too much for her, because after a few minutes, she ran to the toilet and barfed the fish out. And guess what? The fish was still alive!!!! In the toilet bowl! So they hurried and caught it in the net and put it back in the fish tank. After that incident, the fish would have little convulsions every now and then. It was really, really funny. What weirdos!

Anyways, that's my friend Bec. One of my favorite gals. She and I lost contact after I got back from London. She stayed at Ricks because she had met a boy she loved, and I headed down to BYU. I tried to keep in touch, but it was just one of those things. I've learned that most friends come and go. I will find her someday, though.

6 comments:

Emily Empey said...

hahahahahahahahhaaha OH MY HECK! I am laughing so hard about the fish story!!! i had to read that to will and he was like... "well lets put you in a stomach full of acid and see if you would have convulsions , thats kinda creepy!" I am dying of laughter! haha

Nat said...

I remember her! She really was a fun, fun person. F-U-N!

Anonymous said...

The fish story is GROSS!! Yuck!! She sounds like a really fun person. I'm sorry you guys lost touch, but I know how that goes:P

Unknown said...

:) I had a friend like that... I can't find her either. I think about her often though.

Camille said...

I remember that fish story - but I don't remember Bec - did I ever meet her? I'm not sure why I don't remember her?
That was an awesome walk down memory lane - funny things happen in those college days!

Lyndsay said...

Look her up on facebook, and that fish story - crazy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...