Saturday, March 29, 2008

Everyone Poops


Thanks for the support about getting rid of Titan, everyone. You made me feel a lot better about it.

Alright, brace yourselves if you don't like talking about bodily functions, because I'm going to talk about Sadie's potty training adventures. If you are sensitive to such topics, run away from this blog quickly! :)

The above is a book, a real one! It's supposed to help toddlers understand that, when they're pooping, their guts aren't falling out of their bodies. That they're okay. I've thought about getting it from the library.

I mentioned about a month ago that we had started to potty-train Sadie, and maybe a week ago, I mentioned that she was having problems in the, ah, number two area of her training. It only took her one day to get the hang of peeing in the potty, and she's a total champ about that. But she was really, really scared to poop in the potty. I would offer to put her diaper on so that she could poop in the diaper, and she refused to do that, too. It was like, once she realized what was really going on down there, she wanted no part of it. She was so freaked out about it that she would hold it all in and actually constipate herself.

After about five days, she was starting to get really uncomfortable, so we gave her a baby suppository. Those worked for the next ten days or so - every five days, we'd give her one. And she would scream and shake - it was very traumatic for her, because it had built up in her so much, so it hurt to come out.

Well, pretty soon, she somehow figured out how to overcome the power of the suppository. I don't know how - I can't overcome the power of a suppository!! She just somehow made her body ignore it. So then we tried Milk of Magnesia mixed with her morning apple juice. We tried prunes (that went over really well). We tried baby laxatives. She somehow overcame the power of all of these.

We finally tried a baby enema, and that was the ticket. So we had to do baby enemas, every five days or so, for a couple of weeks. She hated it, and I hated having to do it, but it was the only way to give her relief, because she was really uncomfortable. She is probably the only two-year-old in the world that knows the word "enema." When I said it, she would scream and run away. :) I was about to call the doctor to discuss this issue with him, when, lo and behold...

SHE STARTED POOPING WITHOUT AN ENEMA!! It was awesome. She's done it a few times in the last few days. We obviously make a huge deal out of it when she does it. We shower her with praise, I let her call her dad to tell him "the good news..." We still have to talk her into it - she'll resist for awhile. But if I hug her while she's on the toilet, and if I help her grunt - I go, uhhhh...., and then she'll go, uhhhh, and that helps - then she'll do it. So I'm really excited to be possibly overcoming this problem.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

hurray for sadie! i'm so glad this is getting easier for you guys!

Nat said...

Dude, we totally own "Everyone Poops". If you want to borrow it, let me know! Because it's not like Brock is interested at all in the toilet thing.

anjie said...

Yay! What a great pooping coach you are. Sounds like the enema scared the crap out of her in a good way!

Beej said...

Yay for poop!! In my first nursing job (I was a nurse extern, which really means that I was a fancy CNA that could do extra stuff) the first nurse I worked with was really old and really crusty and had her panties wound up really tight. But I teased her a lot and worked really hard, and after a couple of weeks, she kind of came out of her shell. Her name was Jeanette. She was like 70.

Anyways, the point of the story is that she taught me one of my favorite nursing phrases: "Pooping people are happy people." I about died laughing...I couldn't help it. And that actually made her laugh, too. She was like, "It's true!" And since then I have learned that indeed, it is true. Our trauma patients get bowel shock and we give them lots of stuff to make them poop their brains out. It's fun for everyone.

So YAY for POOP and YAY for SADIE!! I'm really proud of you potty training her so easily. I know that not everyone likes your tactics, but they work faster than anyone else I know, so why not? Rock on! Who knows, maybe I'll steal your technique when I'm potty training my kids.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...