Saturday, March 8, 2008

Spring Has Sprung!

When Ben and Dylan were sick, and Sadie was napping, my mom and I brought my sister some lunch from the Olive Garden, and we all ate together. It was nice to get away from my kids for a minute. When I came home, I noticed that our bulbs are blooming! This is so exciting! It's been very, very long winter. I had Dylan come and take a look, because he was the one who helped us to plant them last fall. He's pointing to a group of tulips that is peeking out of the ground. You can't really see them:

Here they are, up close:


Below is one of our dwarf irises. My grandpa gave us some cuttings from his dwarf irises. We need to put more topsoil and bark over the chicken wire in places where it's popped up. I read in a gardening book that, if you have squirrels, you have to put chicken wire on top of the bulbs, to keep the squirrels from eating them. It worked pretty well!

4 comments:

Lynita said...

That is so great! Kaitlyn has been pointing out the flowers beginning to grow too! She keeps saying,"They're so cute mommy, they're getting big just like me! I can't wait til it feels like spring here too!

Jenny said...

hurray for spring!!!

the first year we lived in our house, i was sure there were aliens or something underground. there's a triangle type patch of grass near our front walkway, and these tentacle-like things started to pop up in march. i had no idea what was growing. turns out they were tulips. tons of them!!! so weird, but pretty.

something else weird - no squirrels in our neighborhood. they were all over IF.

Nat said...

So fun! I'll have to see if any of my stuff is popping out yet, but I think they're still buried under the snow.

Beej said...

I love spring. I love pussywillows and crocus's. They are the first signs of spring. I remember walking home from school when they would first be coming up and it was so exciting.

I love grandpa. I'm glad that he gave you some flowers.

p.s. get rid of your word verification

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...