Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sadie's Speech Issues

Here's a video of Sadie, pretending to be a dog. She can't say, "Ruff, ruff!" So she says, "Russ, russ!"

Sadie's speech has been a concern for me for the past six months or so. I couldn't tell if she was delayed or not, because my only basis of comparison is Dylan, who was speaking in clear sentences when he was 18 months old. But I hardly ever understand what she's telling me. Everything is just very slurred. "Doughy" is "kool-aid." "Doss" is "cars." "Saw" is "frog." Luckily, she's mellow, so she doesn't throw a fit if I don't understand her, but I was a little concerned.

So, last week, we had her tested through the Infant/Toddler program in our state (thanks to my friend Carrie, who told me about the program in her state). The Infant/Toddler program is fantastic, because it's absolutely free. They test kids for free, and if your child needs therapy of any sort (development, speech, behavior, etc.), a therapist will come to your house once a week until the child is three years old.

Sadie tested in high in understanding and in expressing herself, but very low in articulation. They also tested her for a developmental problem, and she didn't have anything wrong in that area. Because she's so low in articulation (she's in the 7th percentile - that's not good), she will receive speech therapy through Infant/Toddler. The therapist will come to our house once a week through the summer. When the fall comes, Sadie will go to the local school and get speech therapy there once a week.

Sadie wasn't going to be eligible for Headstart this fall - we make "too much" now (what a joke!) - but now she will be eligible, because there is paperwork to prove that she needs extra help. Headstart is required to make 10% of its students be students with special needs. I'm glad I checked it out - hopefully the therapy will help her. And I'm really glad it's not a problem with her brain - they said she was really smart. She just has a tongue-thrusting problem.

8 comments:

anjie said...

Good luck with it. We need to take advantage of good programs. Especially when they come to our homes. Kids do better in their own environment.
Also, My girl spoke MUCH later than Brad also. Brad spoke well early too. I think some kids catch on faster and some don't care as much. Their personalities are very opposite too. And now with Reagan he is not speaking at the level Brad was either. So, I've decided Brad was more unusual and the others more normal. Brad was my first, so that was all I knew. People always commented on his talking. Now I know why. It is SOO nice when they can talk early. I could reason with him and everything. Not the others.

Jenny said...

i'm glad you're able to have help w/ her speech. how nice. jonah was a really late talker. it's sooo nice when they can tell you what they want/need. it cuts whining in half!

Carrie said...

I am so glad you are getting help. Isn't it wonderful to have the piece of mind of knowing you are doing everything you can to help your little ones, and FREE is the right price. I am glad you took the initiative to get some help.

Amy said...

Hello- this is Amy- Nat's sister-in-law. I was just wondering if you could give me some more info on the program? Do you know if there is something like that in Utah? How did you find it and get an application? I have a friend who desperately needs something like this for her son. THanks!

Nat said...

I worried about Brock for a while, but in the last little bit his speech has improved. His Brockese is turning more into English! I'm glad Sadie will get that extra oomph for her speech.

Kara & Levi said...

Infant/Toddler is a good program and will be sooo helpful. I'm glad you are able to do it.

Gifford Family said...

I am glad you caught that she had a problem. We had a similar problem with Ivy. Her's was due to not being able to hear. She too was put into the early intervention program. It is wonderful. She goes to pre-school one day a week, a music class once a week, and they have a therapist that comes to our home every other week. It has helped her speech so much!

Lynita said...

Good for you! Many moms would just live in denial and act like everything is okay. Personally I worry a little about Ethan too, but I am not sure about the state programs here. Would you send me a little info about your program so I can do some research for New York? I know Sadie will improve tons and that is great that she gets to go to HeadStart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...