Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Beware the Pop Tart

So. Last week, Ben bought Pop Tarts for the kids' breakfasts. We never really had Pop Tarts while I was growing up, and I tasted one in college and thought it was gross, so that is the extent of my experience with them. However, even though my experience has been limited, I do know that they can get really hot, especially the frosting. I know they must be handled carefully.

So I put in a Pop Tart for Dylan, and I didn't adjust the time. I figured it would need as much time as a piece of bread. It pops out, and I gingerly grab it to hurry and put it on the counter so it doesn't burn me. When I grab it, it starts to burn, so I drop it, but the pastry had stuck to my hand and continued to burn me. I ran to the sink and scraped it off, while running it under cold water, but the damage was done:

I have never had a burn this bad before. It felt like my hand was on a stove top, burning for four hours. It wouldn't stop burning!!! I had to carry around an ice pack in my hand the whole day. If I took the ice pack off my hand for one second, the burning would resume.
Here it is a few days after the burn:


And here it is today, one week after the incident:


Killer. It's been a painful week.
One cool thing about it is I can use my blisterey hand (which sometimes oozes) to make Dylan do anything.
Me: Dylan, I need you to set the table.
Dylan: I don't want to.
Me: Okay, I can always put my juicey hand on your face....
Dylan: Okay, okay, okay!!!
Dylan always asks me to rub his face at night when he's in bed. I know I should cherish this time, but....I kind of hate it. It just feels like one more way I'm a servant to him. My arm hurts, and by bedtime, I've had enough of him. I grudgingly do it most nights, but I don't do it for long, because I just have to have some time to myself. So now that I have juicy blisters on my hand...
Dylan: Mom, can you rub my face?
Me: Well, okay, but hopefully the juice from my blisters won't get in your mouth.....
Dylan: Ewwww! Never MIND!!!
So having oozing blisters has its advantages.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!! So sorry that happened! It looks very painful!! But that is great that Dylan listens to you! LOL

Unknown said...

Ewww blister juice in his mouth... YUCK. Sorry that happened. Burns suck.

Nat said...

Dude, that's so funny. Not the burn, the teasing Dylan with it.

Mindy H. said...

YIKES!!!! I am now adding Pop Tarts to my "things that could possibly kill me" list.

Chad said...

Uggh. That looks nasty nasty painful.

Chad said...

I had a dream last night that I stood too close to a heater and I lit my leg on fire. I think I should blame you for that dream. :)

Emily Empey said...

OUCH!!!!! That looks INCREDIbLY painful!

Lynita said...

Nasty and a bit cruel, I like this side of you! Maybe you can use it when people cut in line and tell em where to go! I'll take em down for ya Kar! ;) That does look painful, so sorry about the boo boos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...