Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Put Me In, Coach!!

When our ward announced that it would have a softball game, I was thrilled. I haven't played since high school, and throwing and catching a teeny bit when I coached t-ball really made me want to get out there and play softball "for reals." As I was getting ready for the evening, in the back of my mind, I thought, "I wonder if they'll have something for the kids to do. They'll want to play ball..." I toyed briefly with bringing the tee that I still need to return back to the YMCA, but then I thought, "Nah..." I did pack and bring my bases, though. And my glove, of course.



When we got there, almost every single kid had a mitt and was ready and raring to play. I put out my bases before the dinner part of the evening, and while the adults were eating, most of the kids were out there playing around on the diamond. By the time I finished eating, I realized that the adults were setting up on a different diamond, and that there were tons of kids desperately in need of adult supervision. Patty realized this before I did and started a game for the kids. She is so great. If I was her, I would have gone and played with the adults. And part of me really, really wanted to do that. But then I sighed and went over to help her. And I lent my glove to my little man.



And it really turned out to be fun. Because my kids were having fun. Things just kind of change when you have kids. For instance, when we lived in CA and went to Disneyland, we didn't get to do any of the rides we wanted to do (Dylan was too short for the "big rides"), but it was really okay, because it's the kids' turn to have fun now.

I took a brief break from being the appointed catcher/umpire to take a few pics.

Here's Pats, the appointed pitcher:

Dylie batting:

And playing in the field with my huge mitt:


Sadie had no interest in playing. She did have interest in organizing my bucket of balls:


And in "walking" a lady's dog around on its leash (the lady was nice to indulge her in being bossy to the dog):

Ben was donating plasma, so he came a little late. He ate some really, really good fried chicken:

And then came and took over as designated pitcher:

Micah was actually decent that night, as long as he had a ball to play with:


3 comments:

Nat said...

It is kind of sad that the focus changes to the kids, but that's what our parents did for us. It's just how it is.

Oh, and I have zero desire to play softball/baseball now that I'm older. Though I really didn't like it when we were kids, and you did. Maybe next time someone will step up and do the kid thing.

The Dillons said...

That was a lot of fun! I ended up watching the Ashcraft boy :) I may not have kids of my own, but I do have kids and life has changed :) I love it though. The kids were so cute about playing a game. What a good idea to do that for FHE

Anonymous said...

How fun!! I never realized you were into sports so much!! That's cool! That picture of Micah is so adorable!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...