Friday, August 21, 2009

You Give Me Fever...

...In the morning, Fever all through the night...

Sadie had a horrible, horrible fever a couple of weeks ago. It started on a Sunday - 103 degrees. And nothing we did could bring the fever down. We tried zig-zagging between ibuprofen and Tylenol, cold cloths, and even a lukewarm bath. And nothing else seemed to be wrong. She wasn't complaining of stomach pain or ear pain or throat pain or anything. She was just whiney and HOT.
We kept her home from church, and then Dylan and I went alone to Jake's b-day party (see the below entry). We didn't want to give whatever she had to everyone else. And Micah is a butthead, so I left him home with Ben, too.
I had been over at Nat's for only an hour when Ben called me, alarmed - Sadie's temp had jumped to 105. I raced home, dropped off Dylan, grabbed Sadie, and raced to the ER. I just didn't want to mess around with it. I couldn't believe how lucky we were - it was very slow for what I thought a Sunday night would be. We were in and out in only two hours.
The verdict? She had a UTI. No joke. For those of you who don't know me very well, UTI is Urinary Tract Infection. I get three or four per year. Just the way my life is. So UTI is part of my daily lexicon. Anyways, back to Sadie, who seems to have inherited my UTI-ness. I could not believe it! Sadie hadn't complained of pain while urinating, and she didn't seem to be going more often than usual. She wasn't grabbing what we call in our house her "front bumb," or anything. I would have never known it.
The ER doc said that the top three reasons for high fevers in children - strep throat, ear infection, and UTIs. I guess it makes sense. Kids never want to take the time to go pee. Or if they do, they hurry through it and probably don't totally empty their bladders.
So we got Sadie some antibiotics that night and started them right away. Her fever still hovered between 100 and 103 clear until Thursday, though - four days later. It was a doozy. She got three days off from swimming lessons, which she was happy about.
She had many, many visitors. Here is one of them, Lex, who brought a nice, cool shaved ice (Barbie flavor - Sadie's favorite). And she and Sadie cuddled with Cheese for awhile:


My kids have such doting aunts. By the way, Lex's friend, Mark, has called dibs on Cheese. Lex calls herself Cheese's godmother. :)
And, parenthetically, our little Lex has returned to Boise State for her fourth year. She left today. She just took her GRE and will be entering Physical Therapy School (I'm crossing my fingers for ISU - just an hour away) next fall. I have such smart sisters. Seriously.

9 comments:

The Boyles said...

Poor girl (and Mommy) - that sounds miserable! By the way- sorry I didn't get in touch when we were in Idaho - I honestly didn't see anybody but family. Oh and I noticed the comments on Jordan's swim lessons - he actually had 3 different 2 weeks sessions (he had retake one of the levels twice!)- he is getting better now but he has always been a little afraid of the water.

Nat said...

Poor Sadie-I felt so bad for her when I came over that night. And it sucks that she got a UTI.

And dude, I love that pic with Mikey picking his nose. Priceless.

Amy said...

Poor Sadie! I'm glad that you took her in and got her better. Pretty scary being a mom sometimes.

The Dillons said...

Oh sad day for Sadie! That was really nice of Alexis to buy that for Sadie :) It is sooo much fun being an aunt

Gifford Family said...

That is never fun... I am sorry she was so sick.

Unknown said...

My BIL is in Physical Therapy school... will have his PHD in a year. He has really enjoyed it!

Tha sucks about the UTI, I have never had one and neither has Missy (though I had her tested recently due to "accidents") I know they can lead to kidney infections etc. Glad you caught it while it was still a UTI and not worse!

Unknown said...

PS I love that you called Mike a butthead. CLASSIC. I hope he learns to chill soon for you.

Lynita said...

Wow, the poor thing, UTI's are horrible! Glad she is better! Go Lex, that is what I plan on going back to school one day for.

Patty said...

Am I the only one who pronounes UTI "you-tee"?
It's so much shorter.

Word verification: Minest
Meaning: as much mine as it can be. belonging to no one else

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...