Monday, July 19, 2010

The Birthday Clothes Post

Apes made me promise to write a post about Dylan's birthday clothes. My ma got him some nice shirts and shorts from Osh Kosh B'Gosh - a good, reputable brand, in my experience. Dyl wore his new shirt the day after he opened the clothes, for his birthday party:


As his party wore on, I noticed that he was starting to get a weird rash on his face (again, avert your eyes from the really awful haircut I gave him. I took him to Great Clips a couple of days after this to fix my mess):


When his party was over, I bent over to examine his face and saw hives not only on his face, but also on his neck. I lifted up his shirt, and he had hives everywhere his shirt was touching! I was so alarmed! I had him take off the shirt, we gave him a bath, we put on some anti-itch cream on the affected areas, and we gave him some Benadryl. Then I had him put on an older, tried-and-true-and-prewashed shirt.

I checked the label on the shirt, and it said, "Wash before wear." Now, I may be really unhygeinic, but when me or my kids get new clothes, we just wear them right away. I really should pre-wash everything, because you don't know where the clothes have been. Call me gross. Whatever. I was curious as to whether any of Dylan's other clothes had tags that said that. I checked all of them, and it was just these two shirts and two pairs of shorts that he had gotten that said that - "Wash before wear." Perhaps Dyl reacted to the shirt because it has kind of a tie-dyed look and was therefore made with some kind of chemical?? Mom said she heard that certain countries pack the clothing that they make into some kind of hay or something in boxes, and that may have contributed. Who knows.

All I know is that the rash stuck around for, like, a week. It was CRAZY. Here Dylan is, like four days after his first exposure to the shirt:


Poor kid. Luckily, it didn't really itch him or bother him at all. It just looked really bad. A week after he first wore the shirt, I had washed it, and his rash had cleared, so we tried it again. And immediately, he broke out into a rash, yet again!! So I washed it a second time, and we tried it again a week later. Whatever chemical that had been in it finally washed out, and he's been fine ever since.

I'm planning on washing new clothes from now on. I learned my lesson.

5 comments:

Emily Empey said...

holy cow!! that is kind of disgusting- but i a glad the chemical finally went out! ugh! haha

So Ross Park is in Pocatello! It is so much fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor guy! I'm glad you were finally able to wash out the chemical or whatever it was! I usually wash the kids' clothes before they wear them, but I just wear mine without washing. I think I might start washing mine too.

Mindy H. said...

How sad!Having your birthday presents cause physical harm kind of puts a damper on things, doesn't it? I guess I will have to stop teasing Jenny about prewashing all of her new clothes. It is a good thing I have so many other things to tease her about;)

Nat said...

Once again, you're the 20 post girl, and I'm the crappy commenter. You know, I hardly ever wash clothes from the store before having my kids wear them. But maybe I should start doing that now, because you never know. And sorry I felt so, so sick at Dyl's party. I would have loved to have stayed, but I would have just laid on your couch or something.

Camille said...

That's soooo weird - who woulda thought? Little kid skin is crazy sensitive to weird stuff like that too.
Glad he's doing better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...