Friday, July 16, 2010

Commas are Important

I really, really overdid it with Dylan's friend party. I even bought decorations - streamers and balloons. Cups, plates, napkins, and plastic cutlery. All matching the colors of Bakugan. I had great intentions, but I was extremely overwhelmed the morning of the party. My men saw my distress and responded. Dylan offered to help blow up the balloons himself:

I was so impressed. I have a really difficult time not only blowing up balloons, but also tying them. It's a painful process for me. Dylan had no problems.

And Ben offered to decorate the cake. My original idea was to buy a big Drago bakugan. I bought some food coloring to match the colors of the Bakugan theme. I was thinking, since Drago is red, maybe I'd decorate the main part of the cake in plain yellow or orange or something. Maybe pipe some shells along the edges in black. And then I was going to plop that bakugan on the top as his topper. Voila.

Dylan informed me the day before his party that he didn't want his new bakugan on the cake. He was worried that the icing would ruin it and that it wouldn't open correctly after that. I was left wondering what to do.

Ben took over for me:

He decided to make the cake look like the backside of a Bakugan trading card. I agreed that would be awesome. You need black, orange, white, red, and yellow to achieve that look. I thought I had bought black icing dye, but it turned out that I accidentally bought two red icing dyes, in addition to orange and yellow dye. Ben decided to make some homemade chocolate frosting and use that instead of the black. And he just went to town. The cake ended up looking like the backs of Bakugan cards. It was AMAZING. This man is so, so artistically talented. He is always telling me that I'm a better artist than him - NO WAY. He takes the cake. Literally. Wink-wink.

I got an idea off the internet to pipe the sentence, "Happy Brawl-day Dylan!" on the cake. Perfect. Because the main characters are called "Battle Brawlers." I asked Ben to pipe that on the top, and he obliged:

Doesn't it look so much like the back of a Bakugan trading card??:

After I oooohed and ahhhhed over Ben's caketasticness, I asked him to please pipe a comma after the "birthday" on the cake, so that it would say (correctly), "Happy Brawl-day, Dylan!" Ben thought that was the dumbest idea he had ever heard of. I told him that, if we were going to pipe messages onto cakes, the least we could do was make the messages grammatically correct. He laughed for a long time. He thinks I'm crazy. But he obliged. Then he took a picture of the correctly-placed comma, for all posterity to see how crazy his wife is:

I don't care what he says. Having a grammatically correct cake is a priority for me.


I had to leave to go to my dear friend, Patty's, baby shower, and I meekly asked Ben if he could decorate the dining room for me while I was gone. When I returned home, this is what I found:


Gorgeous. Perfect. Did my man deliver, or did he deliver?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake looks Awesome!! Mark is so good at that stuff too. I just ruin things most of the time:P That's so awesome that Ben and Dylan helped out so much!

Lynita said...

Wow it is amazing that he pulled all of that together for you! I love that you made him put the comma on the cake! lol! Happy Brawl-Day, Dylan!

Camille said...

Good work Ben - I am soooo impressed! The decorating of the room, the decorating of the cake it's all great! Maybe you could hire him out as a party planner?????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...