Sunday, January 16, 2011

He's a roller.

But mostly by accident. He hasn't figured out how to roll on purpose.

He's so cute.


I took him to a hemotologist today, up in Rexburg - the doc spoke in many, many large, chemistry-sounding words. I just stared at him, open-mouthed. Drooling a little. Just kidding. So he tried to break it down into terms I understood. He said that, for instance, he knows that there are teenagers living in his neighbor's house. But he can't tell what kind of teenagers they are until he talks to them. He tried to relate that to some of the questions we have about Gage's high white blood cell count. (I still really didn't get it, but I appreciated his efforts.)

What I mainly got out of it was this:

1. He definitely does not have leukemia. The doc showed me all of the blood draws we've done so far here in I.F. and what the numbers of platelets, or hemoglobulin, or some other dang things show - that they would be high or low or whatever if he had leukemia. Whatever. As long as he doesn't have leukemia and as long as the doctors know how to interpret all of the numbers.

2. He definitely does not have a bacterial infection. There were certain numbers that show us that, as well.

3. Gage either has a very persistent virus or somehow, his immune system doesn't know how to go back down after being on alert. I asked if a virus could stay around for three months, and he said absolutely. Or, with the heightened immune system, here's a possibility - Gage got this flu when he was two months old, right? All of us did. But when the flu went away, there is a possibility that his immune system didn't understand to stop being crazy with the white blood cells.

So. The doc said, "Let's draw some more blood and do some tests to see if he has such-and-such a virus, or if his immune system is a little too excited." So they poked Gage again. And again, because they couldn't get the blood to flow enough through the first poke site. Blah. I kept kissing Gage's forehead and telling him how sorry I was.

We'll get the results of the virus and excitable immune system in one week. They checked his white blood cell count really quickly while we were there, and guess what?

HIS WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT WAS ABSOLUTELY NORMAL.

For the first time in three months. The doc did a triple-take, and I did a triple-take. Like, jigga what???

The doc was like, "Whoa. Well, maybe he finally just...cured himself!" But we're going to go back in a week to make sure. Oh, I hope so...
So that's that. But can I tell you... the hematologist works in an oncology office. I had to walk past this big room where people were getting their chemotherapy treatments. I glanced in and looked at all of them in their chairs, and I got tears in my eyes. At least Gage doesn't have leukemia, I thought to myself. I've been counting my blessings ever since I saw that room. And I've been saying prayers inside my head all afternoon and evening - thank you, Heavenly Father, that Gage doesn't have cancer. And bless all those people in that room, and their families.

I am one lucky stiff.

6 comments:

Emily Empey said...

OHHH Kar! That is exciting that his white count was NORMAL! yay!!! GOod job Gagey poo! I love him!

Unknown said...

Yay for normal blooooood.... :D

Carrie said...

First . . . what a blessing to get normal labs. This guy has given you some big scares! Second, I can't believe he is growing so fast.

Mindy H. said...

I am so so so so so so so so so glad that Gage's blood is behaving itself! Thank heaven for answered prayers and priesthood blessings. Now the rest of his childhood should be pretty smooth sailing, right?

And he is stinkin' cute. Way stinkin' cute. Nicely done.

The Dillons said...

that is awesome Karlenn! I am so glad and I hope he stays that way. He is soooo cute! I miss him!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad he doesn't have leukemia!! I hope he starts getting better soon! He's such a happy baby all the time. It's just frustrating when you can't find answers!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...