Monday, January 17, 2011

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Orchestrating the making and decorating of sugar cookies, I mean. I do it at Christmas time, and I do it at Valentine's time. It's always a huge mess, and it always makes me want to shoot all of my children, and then myself.

I think the main problem is this: I want to eat sugar cookies. So I have to make them. And then the kids are all, "We want to help!" And I keep thinking, "This will be a great time to bond with them, teach them how to cook, make some Christmas memories, etc." So then we do it, and I hate it the whole time.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

So. I hadn't had time to make much of my annual neighbor gifts - my poppyseed bread. So I thought, maybe we can just double our batch of sugar cookies and give some cookies to a few neighbors. Um, we found out that two batches equals about 124 cookies. Dylan actually counted them all.

The kids fought over who got to help mom make the dough. Then they fought over who got to roll the dough out. Then they fought over whose turn it was to cut out the shapes. It was special.




And no matter how many times I told them to make sure they got the edges of the dough with their cookie cutters, they never did. Which resulted in much extra rolling of dough.

I had enough by the time we baked all the cookies. I decided that we should frost them the next day.

The next day's frosting started out okay. I got Mikey started:


The other two were doing really well by themselves.



I needed a break from the kiddos, and I also needed to shower, so I decided to let them go at it while I showered really quick.

Big mistake.

When I came out, there were mounds of sprinkles all over the floor, table, chairs, etc. I couldn't walk around without walking in sprinkles of some sort. I swept and wiped up, but no matter how much I swept and wiped, the dang sprinkles WOULDN'T GO AWAY. In between my toes. Underneath my fingernails. ARGHHH!!!

The kids had only decorated like 10 cookies. I decided that was good enough, and I discarded the remaining 114 cookies. Threw them right in the trash. Disposaled the frosting immediately. They weren't upset with me - by then, they had already lost interest, of course. They were already in the freakin' living room, watching some show on TV, when I came out of the shower. (I'm the one that usually frosts the remaining 114 cookies.)

But then I regretted my decision, after I ate like 8 of the 10 decorated cookies. I wanted more. So I re-visited cookie land a couple of weeks after Christmas. This time, I tried to be patient with the kids. And I didn't leave them alone for one second. And I had Sadie and Dylan decorate them while Micah was asleep.

It felt weird to do Christmas-themed cookies again, so we opted for really-early valentines shapes:




And then I made some baby bootie shapes for my friend, Kim, who just had a baby. I used my stocking cookie cutters, and just cut off the tops. And then added little baby laces with some frosting tubes I inherited from my mom.



So yeah. I also inherited Easter-themed cookie cutters from my mom, so I think I'll make some Easter ones. Just so's I can eat 'em. The urge for sugar cookie goodness outweighs the potential frustration in dealing with the kids. :)

8 comments:

The Dillons said...

It is a long process to make sugar cookies and to make them with kiddos...that could be really frustrating. But good for you! They look soooo yummy!

Emily Empey said...

wow! see you are not a bad mother! who cares if Mikey doesnt know the ABC's yet!! I love sugar cookies too!! YUMMY! So i just read all your comments on my blog and I will try and answer the questions for you
*jeremy is a step brother!
*He has had knee problems for quite some time- a HUGE trigger was at ISP advanced training.
*we went private because there are just psychos in the world- and Will didnt want some people from his work looking at it that were- so we went private- BUT i hate it so i went public again! haha

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

haha I am dying...mostly because I have made sugar cookies with little kids before and it is A LOT of work. Infact I don't even make sugar cookies because I hate rolling, cutting and frosting! haha. And thats even if I am just doing it by myself! My Grandma makes giant Valentines sugar cookies every year and sends one to each person in the family...so I pretty much just wait until valentines day to enjoy a sugar cookie...(and in the past I have usually enjoyed Noah's for him as well). ha.

Unknown said...

You are more adventurous than I girl! Be it because of the mess or my distinct dislike of cooking my kids have had deprived childhoods... I could always have them come over and help your kids make a mess! ;)

Nat said...

Oh, I'm right there with ya on wanting to EAT the sugar cookies. But making them? Hmmm. Geraldines makes REALLY big, REALLY yummy ones. And they give you the frosting and sprinkles, to boot!

P.S.-sorry I haven't commented on your blog lately. I've...just been busy, I guess. I'm not trying to be a bad sister. But also, you write so many posts! I can't keep up with your awesomeness. So, you are hereby dubbed The Post Master. :)

Norlund Clan said...

I think it is great that you do that with your kids. I should make sugar cookies with Aurora.

Camille said...

I hear ya! I've often hated the sugar cookie process myself! My kidos are finally old enough that it's not bad. We made some this Christmas and it wasn't bad at all. I SOOOO love to eat them.
In fact, I was just thinking today that maybe we should start on some Valentine ones....but then I decided I didn't have the energy.

Mindy H. said...

My mom only attempted sugar cookies once a year, and it seems like that one time frequently ended in yelling and/or crying.

And us kids ended up pretty unhappy sometimes too.

Your cookies do look yummy... too yummy, perhaps. Now I want sugar cookies. Darn.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...