Sunday, January 2, 2011

Stippling Sisters, Part 2

So. Like, a week after we painted Nat's basement, we tackled my kitchen. My kitchen was booooooooring. Grey, grey, grey. Blah, blah, blah. Hark:




Um, yeah. Nice pile-o-dishes here:


My kitchen is always this dirty. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is, you know?:


I love, love, love the finish on my cabinets, but they just kind of blended right in with the boring wall color.


Sorry - we've got some shellack on the walls in these pics, which is a little distracting, but I forgot to take pics before the shellacking.

"Shellacking" is a fun word to say.



I wanted a beautiful rusty red color. There are bits of rusty red decor all over my house, so I thought it would tie the house together a little bit better. The floor has a tinge of that rusty color in it, too, so that was also something that swayed me that way.

Me, taping. In some sa-weet I.F. Tigers basketball shorts that I inherited from Lex. Gooooo Tigers!!!:

Ben took tons of pics of Nat painting:


What am I, chopped liver?

I had to be a freakin' contortionist to get at some of these spots. I totally had to crop the following picture, because it showed my garmies:


Ready for the finished product? Drumroll, please....

Ta-da!! Red, red wine....


Stay close to me-e-e...


Don't let me be alone...

It's tearin' apart...
My blue, blue heart...

Ah, that reminds me of high school. Goooooo, UB40!!!

So anyways. Apparently, we should have primed before painting. We figured that, since the wall had already been painted, we didn't need to prime. Wro-ong. When we finished painting, and then pulled off the tape, great big chunks of paint came off the edges:


Ugh, I was so MAD. Ben very patiently re-painted the parts that peeled off, and it looks much better now. Though I still need to fix some errant blobs on some edges, where the red bled through the tape onto the white paint of the ceiling. I just need to find some time in which to do it. I still haven't even taken down Christmas decor yet. Sigh.

But isn't the color beautiful? Doesn't it just make the cabinets POP?? And doesn't it pick up the pretty red tones in the tile? I'm such a huge fan.

Next time we do this, Nat, I want to tackle Sadie's bedroom!!

8 comments:

idasale said...

I love the color!!!!!!!! My kitchen is similar and i love it. Way to go ladies on tackling such a big project!

Emily Empey said...

SOOO fun! ok seriously will you come help me paint my house!! I have not a clue what i am doing adn i need help with it bad! I am tackling my front room and hallway- i have the paint and such- i just need to do it! haha

I LOVE the way the kitchen looks! LOVE It!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

You girls have a good thing going here! When we buy a home (whenever that will be) I will totally hire you! :) I hate painting.

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

PS. I LOVE the red!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the red in your kitchen!! It's so pretty with the cabinets and the tile! I love your kitchen!!

Kristen said...

I love love love it! I've always wanted a red wall somewhere. Nice job!

Camille said...

RED is my favorite color - it is beautiful! Your cabinets look awesome against that color!
I wish that I lived closer to you because I would make you you a nice new window treatment for your window to match your nice new walls!
Good job! It looks awesome.

Layton Mom said...

I love the red! That is not really a surprise though since I too have a red wall. I wish my sister lived close so that we could paint together. Maybe I will borrow yours. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...