Sunday, April 12, 2009

I Warned Them...

We had an unusually warm early March. So warm that the kids could actually play outside and get a little pink:

So warm that my daffodils, tulips, and crocuses started popping out:



Oh, and my irises started popping out, too, but I somehow forgot to take a picture of them.

"Oh, you guys," I said,"This is not a good idea. You're going to really regret exposing yourselves this early. You should really go back underground." But they didn't listen. In fact, my crocuses defied my suggestion outright, blooming beautifully:

"Oh, crocuses, not a good plan," I said. "I hope you don't die. Don't you remember what Idaho springs are like?" They didn't remember. Until they were pelted with hail:

Which smooshed most of them:


And the ones that didn't get smooshed hadn't escaped decimation. We got six inches of snow about a week and a half ago:

That picture was taken just as the snow had begun. I should have taken a picture of the completely-covered-in-snow crocuses. It wasn't pretty.

Needless to say, the blooms have all died. But somehow, the little green parts seem to be doing okay. And the green parts of the tulips, irises, and daffodils are holding strong. Hopefully that huge snowstorm was the last one of the spring. But you never know. It did, after all, blizzard on my high school graduation day. In June.

5 comments:

Nat said...

Poor little flowers. Tulips are hardy, though, so if you have those then they'll be fine, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor flowers! At least you warned them!:) Aren't Idaho Springs annoying?!

Norlund Clan said...

The last picture if the flowers covered in snow is so pretty. Sad, but pretty.

Carrie said...

It is TOTALLY snowing here today, and probably the rest of the week. Spring is such a tease.

Lynita said...

Man those poor flowers, they just wanted to bring cheer and beauty to the earth and BAMMM... it's all over. Se la vi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...