Friday, April 24, 2009

Xena, Warrior Princess

Do you recall this lovely little nugget of a show from the nineties?:


I can honestly say I never watched it - can you blame me? It seemed very cheesey. Though I'm jealous that Lucy Lawless's bangs hang so effortlessly straight downward. Sigh. I'm soooo growing these stupid bangs of mine out.

Anywho.

Ben is a MAJOR cat lover. A cat can melt this 6'2", 220-pound man into mush. When he was on his mission in Brazil, he kind of adopted this stray cat. Ew. A stray cat? In Brazil? Can we say "scabies"? He let this cat sleep in his bed. And I think this cat had, like, one eye or something. You get the picture. Anyways, one night, the cat was sleeping near Ben's bumb, and he was petting it, and suddenly, he feels this wetness on his hands. As it turns out, this stray cat had kittens IN BEN'S BED!!! Ewwwww!!! I should ask him sometime what he did with the kittens. I haven't been able to stand even getting past the whole scabies-infected-stray-Brazilian-cat-giving-birth-in-one's-bed thing to ask...

When Ben was jobless, and seemed to be okay being jobless, I was going nutso. So, to motivate Ben to get a job, any job, I told him that, if he got a job, I would let him get a cat. When Ben landed his current job, off he went on a cat search.

I haven't let Ben get a cat yet in our marriage, because 1) Let's face it; my track record for keeping pets is really bad. I hate cleaning up animal poop and barf - I clean up kid poop and barf. And my own poop and barf, as the case has been this week. I don't need to clean some animal's poop and barf. And they ruin stuff. Carpet, shoes, upholstery... the list goes on and on. I just have a hard time with an animal wrecking my stuff. So I have been nervous that I wouldn't be able to handle having a pet again. 2) I've been marginally allergic to cats for most of my life. We had a Persian when I was in high school, and I figured that her dryish hair, instead of her oily hair, made me not sneeze so much. My best friend, Pooh's, mom's cats have always made my eyes go bonkers. So much itching and watering. And so much sneezing. So I've been careful about not touching cats, and if I do, I've always tried to wash my hands afterwards. Still, even with these precautions, I often fled Pooh's mom's house with a wet washcloth covering my eyes. Wet washcloths on one's eyes greatly help when one is having an allergic reaction to a cat. Or a hay fever attack. I get a lot of those, too.

Ben did a lot of searching online for an "allergen-free cat," and it seems that there really isn't such a thing, but what he has read over and over again is that, if you bathe your cat once per week, the allergy-sufferer doesn't, well, suffer as much. He promised to bathe our future kitty once a week, and if I was still not doing well, we could obviously find a new home for her.

We don't have a local Humane Society shelter per se. The local Humane Society "rents" cages in local pet stores for their animals. Ben went to PetSmart to check out the cats, and he fell in love with a little black cat with tortoiseshell markings named Xena:

She was born last summer, and she has been fixed or neutered or whatever the official word for cats is. She has also been de-clawed, and she is already trained to a litter box. Voila. No hassle for me. No poop cleanup (I make Ben clean out the litter box). No shredding of upholstery or carpet.

And she couldn't be sweeter. We have to actually lock her out of our bedroom at night, because she likes to spend all night sitting on our faces, head-butting us, and massaging our throats with her little paws. When I pick her up, she faces me and puts her little paws around my neck. What a babe. She's so stinkin' CUTE.

And the best part is, she's really sweet with the kids:

That dang Sadie treats Xena like a stuffed animal, and she just sits and takes it. She doesn't push against Sadie with her back claws, she doesn't hiss, and she doesn't struggle. She just lets Sadie cart her around. And then, when she can get away, she walks like three feet away and lies down, and Sadie grabs her and starts the process all over again.

I love this picture. Sadie didn't know I was there to take a picture. This is her actual closed-eyes look of contentment:




Verdict: Xena stays. With her original, fabulous name. :) Ben has bathed her once a week, and so far, so good.

6 comments:

Mindy H. said...

Xena is beautiful and I love the "contented" picture of Sadie. The excitement of getting a new pet is always fun, but it is nothing compared to the love and comfort they provide after the newness has worn off. I'm glad your allergies are under control and I hope they stay that way so Xena can be a part of your family for a long, long time.

Layton Mom said...

So, Jaren laughed at the stray Brazilian cat story, he served there too. I am also allergic to kitties, only I get really sick and can't breathe. No matter how clean ones house is I can tell almost immediately if a cat lives there. Makes it hard to visit Nat these days.

Anonymous said...

I remember that show! I think I watched it a few times, but it was really boring so I didn't ever watch the whole thing. I'm glad it's working out to have a cat with your allegies! I have an allergy to cats too and I can't be near cats for very long because my eyes start watering really bad! I can't even think about touching them!:P Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit there. LOL

Camille said...

Yah for cats! I loved this post - cuz you know, I'm a cat lover and such. Brad got me a cat for our wedding gift - still have her and love her. She's not as good with the kids as your cat......my kids wish she was. She just runs away from them.
You are lucky to find her!

Unknown said...

So glad you found a good one! Cat that is.... :) and EW double ew about eh brazilian cat having kittnes in his BED ewewewewew....

Nat said...

YAY for Xena! I need to bathe our cat more often, but she just loves being outside, and rolls around on the ground so she can hunt more effectively. *sigh*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...