Friday, December 4, 2009

Carving Punkins

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know this was ages ago. But that's how I roll. My posts just aren't usually very timely. I'm truly okay with it.

I am so, so, so glad I carved my pumpkins before Halloween proper. I did it like the Tuesday before. They lasted just fine, and I wasn't all stressed out on Halloween. It was perfect. I must make a mental note to do this every year.

I gutted all five pumpkins, as usual. Why do moms always have to do the gross stuff??

Dylan really wanted to use a pattern this year instead of drawing his own, so I taught him about taping the pattern on the pumpkin and poking little holes to help guide you when you carve the pumpkin:

He really wanted to carve his pumpkin himself this year, but when we took off the paper and revealed the millions of little dots, he couldn't figure out how to cut it. It just looked like millions of little dots. So I used a permanent marker and drew from dot to dot to show him where to cut:

He got tired of it after about ten minutes, so I ended up carving his. And Sadie's. And mine. And Micah's. Sigh.
Ben came up with his own design this year:

I'm just not that creative. Patterns all the way.
Dylan with his finished product:

And Sadie with hers:

All five of them, lit up:


I personally like mine the best - the one that says "creepy." Cute. Micah's is the little monster guy. His pumpkin was completely rotten inside. But I didn't want to go spend another $3 on one, so I carved the rotten pumpkin. It was so mooshy to carve. I didn't even have to saw it. It was soooooooo gross. It lasted like a day, then collapsed into itself. Nasty.

5 comments:

The Dillons said...

I love the pumkins, so cute. I love the guts, hate carving. I know I am weird. I like yours too, very cute.

Chad said...

Those are all seriously artistic pumpkins. I'm impressed. Maybe your family can give lessons to ours.

Patty said...

The "creepy" on was my favrotie even before you said it was yours!

You are such a nice mom to carve all the gunk out. My mom said if we didn't scoop it out we couldn't carve it. End of story.

Amy said...

Your pumpkins turned out great! Jeff is the master of the pumpkin carving at our house. I usually help with the youger kids that don't mind my basic skills.

Anonymous said...

Your pumpkins looked awesome!! I like your's best too:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...