Tuesday, December 1, 2009

All I really wanted to do was watch Shanghai Noon.

So. In the post just underneath this one, I talked about my all-nighter, preparing ornaments, right? Ben was out of town that weekend on business. Early the next morning, after about two hours of sleep, the kids woke up and I got them ready for the day.

I was tired.

Then we all went to my mom's best friend's church building. I taught her Achievement Day girls and their dads a couple of country line dances. I did that for my mom's ward party last summer - apparently I'm the go-to girl for teaching country line dances. It's ironic, because I really hate country music. I just happen to know the dances from my heady days as an EFY counselor.

So I taught them the Cotton-Eyed Joe and Slappin' Leather, and my kids all just played in a corner of the cultural hall on the floor. They were really good, which I needed. So I finished doing that and was sweaty.

Then we had that Super Saturday. Luckily, the young women in my ward baby-sat my kids for the four hours it took for me to do my class/project thingey.

We finally got home that evening at about five o'clock, and I was ready to call it a 36 hours, you know? I sat on the couch with a Coke and settled in to watch Shanghai Noon on TV. I was really hoping that Dylan had forgotten about his school's Halloween carnival. I wasn't about to mention it. But then he remembered, dang it, and wouldn't let it go.

So I took the kids to the dang carnival anyways. By myself.

Here are the two oldest in their costumes:


Micah was in no mood for costumes, so he isn't pictured there. Dylan is some dude from G.I. Joe. I don't even know what the character's name is. Snake Eyes, maybe?? Yeah, that sounds right. We haven't even seen the movie, but that was the costume Dylan wanted. Sadie wanted to be Bat Girl. I love that she didn't want to be a princess. She cracks me up. She wouldn't wear the boots or the cape that came with the costume. She is a girl who knows what she wants and doesn't want; that's for sure.



I don't remember my school's Halloween carnival costing any money when I was growing up, but boy, this one sure did. It was a killer. Every little game or activity you could do basically cost 25 cents. I ended up spending 15 dollars. Which made me want to throw up. This booth was particularly awesome. You spend 25 cents, open a door, and you get sprayed with silly string:


No candy. No little plastic spider rings. You just get sprayed in the face. We didn't go to that booth again.



We did a lot of waiting in lines:


I think this picture of Dylan is really funny:


After awhile, we were hungry, so we got hot dogs, soda, and nachos. Here is Sadie, stuffed with hot dog goodness:


Again, sorry for the lack of pictures of Micah. I was just tired and not really aware of whom I was taking pictures of. He stayed in his stroller all evening, which was a miracle.



The carnival finally ended, and I took the kids home. I threw their bums in bed without baths and then CRASHED. It had been a long day.

Slides:

4 comments:

Nat said...

Someday you'll get to watch Shanghi Noon, but until then you'll be making memories with your kids!

Mindy H. said...

Busy days are killer. Often, the only thing good about my busy days is how they make me really, really appreciate the days when I do get to sit around a be a bit lazy. Nat is right about your added perk, though. The kids will remember having fun with their momma.

J + A Humphreys said...

Whoa! I'm tired just reading that. I do NOT like to do things like carnivals by myself. I run out of patience in a snap. Your ornaments are beautimous though. If the sisters knew how much work went into them....

Props on a SUPER MOM day!

Also love that Sadie is Bat Girl. That's awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Totally Super Mom!!! I would've been dead and not even thought about the carnival! LOL! I love the kids costumes though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...