Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Creepy Carol of the Bells

I've never read any of R.L. Stine's books - those Goosebumps books that you see all of the tweens reading these days:

I don't know if those books were around when I was a tween, but if they were, I wouldn't have touched them with a ten-foot pole. I hate scary stuff. It really affects me. I watched It in college with my roommate Lynita (do you remember this, Nitz?), and I was having nightmares and sleeping with my lights on for months. After watching Poltergeist 3, I couldn't walk past any mirrors or windows without flinching.

Anywho, during the month of October, on Cartoon Network (my favorite TV channel, as you know), they were showing all of these made-for-TV movies based on the Goosebumps books. Luckily, they were way too cheesy to scare me. And Dylan really liked them. From the dress and hair in the movies, they had to have been made in the early nineties. They had this creepy theme song at the beginning of each movie.

We've been listening to a lot of Christmas songs lately, and the other day, The Carol of the Bells was on the radio. You know the one that says, "Hark how the bells, sweet silver bells, all seem to say, throw cares away..." That song always reminds me of you, Pooh. I think your chorus used to sing that song a lot during the holidays.


By the way, I just barely learned that those are the words of The Carol of the Bells. It's just always sung so fast that I've never understood the words. I just always sing along to the radio going, "Sweet silver bells, sweet silver bells, sweet silver bells, sweet silver bells," over and over again. :) I think it's funny. Like when I sing off-key. Funny. I am my own best audience.


So back to my story. We were listening to The Carol of the Bells, and Dylan said, "Are we listening to the Goosebumps channel?"


"Uh, no..." I said.


"Oh," Dylan said, "It sounds like the song at the beginning of the Goosebumps movies. Really creepy."


True. It really is a creepy-sounding song.

3 comments:

lexykay said...

haha awesome. i do that with songs too. if i don't know what the words are i just sing the sounds that they're making. i think i'm funny too.

Amy said...

HA! Goosebumps was too scary for me and Ethan won't touch them. He is a scaredy too. That's all fine with me though. He doesn't need nightmares.

Anonymous said...

I used to read goosebumps when I was a kid. I don't think I read very many of them. They were kind of lame. I think I watched those TV shows too. That was such a long time ago!! That's funny that Dyl noticed the song being the same:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...