Friday, December 11, 2009

Cute, but gross.

So I had a very rare Cute Mom Moment on Halloween and decided to make a fun meal. I looked online and found a website that had cute ideas for Halloweeney food that kids would like, so I gave a few things a shot.

Scary mouths, made with sliced apples and slivered almonds:


These are supposed to look like scary eyeballs - sliced carrots, cream cheese, and olive slices:


Hot dog mummies (hot dogs wrapped in breadsticks and cooked):


And monster fingers (string cheese with green pepper fingernails):


The kids just loved it, but the whole meal made me want to yak. String cheese and green peppers - not the best combination. Same with apples and slivered almonds. And carrots and cream cheese. And I really, really hate store-bought breadsticks. They taste like chemicals to me. So I had like one bite of each thing and then later had a normal apple, sans slivered almonds. I'm discovering that I'm a bit of a food snob.

I saw an idea in People magazine that I might try next year. It's Shepherd's Pie, right? But then you put the mashed potatoes into an icing bag and squeeze them out in tall swirls (like they do with soft-serve ice cream on ice cream cones), and those swirls are supposed to look like ghosts. I think you put fennel seeds on each swirl to make ghost eyes. I really should find the picture.

5 comments:

Patty said...

You said it best Kar... cute, but gross. Totally gross.

String chesse make me gag no matter what. So do mozarella sticks. Just doesn't work for me. Too much long cheese.

Megann said...

Those look awesome! I should try that sometime.
My aunt does an annual Halloween party. One year she served beef jerky and labeled it "scabs".

Kar said...

Ewwwwww!!!!

Camille said...

Oh Kar - I'm totally feeling your pain.
I did this a year ago and NO ONE including the kids would eat it.
This year, I tried to tone it down. We just made the mummy dogs - and Jameson at least would eat them.
I also did the mashed potato ghosts... it was called "ghosts in the graveyard". It actually worked and EVERYONE at them.
I just put the mashed potato in a ziplock baggie and cute the corner tip off about a quarter of an inch and then you can squeeze them out onto a plate to make the ghosts. I didn't have seeds, so I just used a little dot of ketchup for the eyes.
Your a good mom for giving it a shot!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Some of it looks yummy, but I agree with the cheese and green peppers. LOL That's cool that you tried it and the kids actually liked it! I know mine would not have touched a single one of them!!:P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...