Monday, November 15, 2010

Old Trusty

When Ben and I got married, we received a really pretty red stand-up counter mixer. It died like three months later. We've used our hand mixer ever since, and it's been fine. It could do anything that a stand-up could do, and more.

But then, a couple of months ago, our hand mixer died. Mom offered her old stand-up mixer to us (she only uses her hand mixer), and I jumped at the chance to adopt it. I love this thing:


It's older than me. For reals, yo. It's amazing. I mixed many, many batches of cookies with that thing.

Along with the mixer, we got an attachment for blending, one for food processing, one for kneading bread, and one for grinding meat. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to use that attachment. Unless we're in the apocalypse or something, only have roasts, and have a hankering for hamburgers instead. I'm not sure I'd even use it then. I'd be like, "We'll just have to go without hamburgers until the millenium starts, m'kay?"

It comes with two glass mixing bowls, one small, and one large. We had the mixer one week before I accidentally dropped the large mixing bowl, shattering it into a million pieces. That bowl lasted 34 years with my mom. It lasted one week with me. Jeez. I am such a dropper. ("She's one of those Droppers!!") I drop stuff, like, daily. I dropped and shattered my boys' light fixture thingey. So they have a bare bulb hanging from their ceiling that blinds everyone. I also dropped our entry way fixture. So we have a bare bulb there, too. We're painfully short on drinking glasses, because I've dropped and shattered so many. (I keep telling Ben to only buy plastic drinking glasses, but he says they're cheesy.) Just call me Butterfingers.

Here's the crazy/awesome thing. My large metal bowl that came with the mixer we got for our wedding (I kept it for all these years, because it works just fine as a normal bowl) actually fits in the grooves of this mixer, like it came with the mixer and was meant for it all along. A little miracle.

I'm still really mad about that glass bowl, though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old things are great!! I'm glad you're mom had a mixer to give you:)

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

That thing is ancient looking...but I totally wish I had one. I only have a hand mixer...which works fine, but sometimes (which means almost every time I use it) it flips the breaker in my kitchen. Anyway, when you are finished with yours, you can give it to me :)

Abbie said...

That thing is the bom dot com. My mom still has her old mustard colored mixer too. They made 'em right back then!

Lyndsay said...

Oh my goodness! Just looking at that mixer brings back so many memories!!! Glad the bowl situation worked out!

Nat said...

They just don't make mixers like they used to, eh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...