Monday, November 1, 2010

He is just the best.


Here are just some random shots of my teeny man. They were all taken in August.


Sometimes I worry that Gage isn't chubbing out enough, but when I see these pictures, I can see that he has definitely grown. Outfits that were drowning him in August are now getting very snug indeed. So that makes me feel relieved. I'm so very paranoid, after all of the failing-to-thrive business we had with Mikey, that the same thing will happen to Gage. He's still on the small side - he weighs 10 pounds or so and is 21 inches long - in the fifth percentile. His head... yeah... it's in the fiftieth percentile. For reals. He is officially one of ours. :) We have large-headed children. I expressed my concern about his tiny-ness to his pediatrician, but she said that we have to remember that Gage was a month early. So we need to pretend that he's a month younger than he is. So, if we pretend Gage is 1 1/2 months old, instead of 2 1/2 months old, then he's doing pretty well - in the 10th percentile. I still worry. All of my friends have nice, chunky babies, and mine is still so skinny. But we're feeding him the exact right amount, and plenty of times in a 24-hour period, so hopefully he'll chunk out soon. And he is growing. He's almost four pounds heavier than he was when he was born, and two inches longer. That's really pretty amazing growth, if you think about it.



He slept sooo much that first month. Almost constantly. When he wasn't eating, he was sleeping. He was just still in fetus mode, I think. But now he's playing for a good half an hour per eat/play/sleep cycle, which is great.




He was really congested that first month or so, too. His docs said that's normal for a newborn. So we had to suction his little nose out quite a bit. He did a ton of snorting. If he was mad, he snorted instead of crying. It was really funny. He's cleared up quite a bit now, and now, when he's mad, he does this squeal thing, which I also think is really cute. Everything he does is cute at this stage, really.




The kids had the flu last week, and he got it worst of all, poor kid. Lots of barf and lots of diarrhea. We had to fit in a few pedialyte feedings, in addition to his normal formula feedings. Luckily, he didn't get dehydrated and has finally pulled through it.




He starting to smile and goo, and I love it so much. I'm just reveling in this stage, because I know it will go so quickly. He is my last, and I have to milk this cute little newborn stage for all it's worth. I could snuggle him all day. He is so stinkin' cute and sweet. And mellow. Which we really need in our house.


We love this little man. We're so glad he came to us.

4 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Glad to hear things are getting better!! Enjoy each day with that little sweetheart!!!

Emily Zoe Hale said...

Oh he is so cute! I can't get over his little lips. I LOVE them! Seeing him makes me even more excited for mine to come! Maybe someday they can meet and be friends...

Nat said...

Look at that tummy! He's definitely grown. And he's so stinking cute! I need to come snuggle him.

Camille said...

Kar-
He's beautiful! Such a sweet little man. It makes me miss tiny babies (until waking up in the middle of the night comes into my head). They are soooo sweet.
You just can't believe how fast they grow until you watch it yourself on a daily basis.
Soooo, soooo sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...