Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.


Yep, yep, yep. My title is a quote from a movie. A very famous movie. Name the movie and the character who says it. Hint: Look carefully at the syntax of the sentence.

Ma famille always puts out luminaires on Christmas Eve. It was a big deal in the neighborhood where I grew up; my folks moved about five years ago and brought the tradition with them. They're the only ones that put out luminaires in their new neighborhood, but it's all good.

We've learned through many, many years what makes for a good luminaire: a white lunch bag - not brown. Rock salt to weigh it down. We have lots of wind here in Idaho. Light them inside and carry them out. (This is also because of the wind. Trying to light them outside is a bit of a joke.) Lexi Poohead, lighting them up:



I included this random picture because I wanted you to see Sadie's cute star part in her hair:

Sades, poorly lit from the front:

Moi:

Ya know, I just cut my hair to my shoulders - I wear it in a flip now. It's cute, but I'm starting to wonder if I just look better in longer hair. Short hair kind of accentuates the chub in my face. As soon as I do it and remember to take a picture, I'll post it up here. I haven't done much with myself for the past two weeks - I feel so crappy. It's all I can do to just feed my children and clean them. I'm pretty much treading water. Anyways, I'll do my hair someday and post a pic. I'm interested to hear your opinion. I was getting REALLY sick of my hair, so it's a welcome change, but I don't know.
Micah. I can't get enough of this smile:


Dylan - he was soooo concerned about the spacing of the bags. He kept readjusting the bags that others had set down:

The finished product. Gorgeous:

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Yoda... in ummm one of THOSE moves... 4,5,or6?

Unknown said...

Oh and ya... my parents tried to do those one year in their new house and totally gave up... outside of Rigby is WAY too windy, as in no hope for luminaries windy.

Kar said...

Alright, Apes, I'll give it to you. It was The Empire Strikes Back. :)

Nat said...

I bought brown bags, and I'm bound and determined to use 'em up! I want to try and start that tradition in my neighborhood, but who knows. It always turns out really nice.

Camille said...

We do this on Halloween! With Jack O Lantern luminaries! I only use battery lit tea lights now though. Trying to keep real flames going is a pain in the A!
What a fun tradition.

Emily Empey said...

Star Wars The Empire Strikes back! LOOOVE Yoda!!

Emily Empey said...

haha i just read your other posts and you gave it away! I knew it before you gave it away! so I think i should get the 10 points!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun tradition! I've never done them, but they look beautiful!! Sadie's hair looks cool!!

Kar said...

Alright, I'll give you ten, too, Em. :)

lexykay said...

ahhhh love our christmas traditions!! too bad ALL of the pics from me during christmas i look super gross... hmmm probably not a coincidence haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...