Monday, January 11, 2010

Stupid Fundraisers

I cannot STAND fundraising season at school. They have this huge assembly where they lure the kids into selling stuff so that they can get these really crappy toys as a reward. It's all that Dylan talks about for a month. And he doesn't understand that he has to sell 100 THINGS to get that radio-control car. He is convinced that he will get that r/c car if he sells one thing. No matter how many times I tell him.



And I hate hitting up friends and family for it. My mom usually buys a couple of rolls of wrapping paper - our school does lots of wrapping paper for fundraisers. And I usually buy nothing. I can't afford seven-dollar wrapping paper, dude.



I'm not sure what the fundraiser went toward this year, but last year, it went toward buying a new "big toy" for the school playground. Hilarious story behind this: There is a school called Hawthorne down in Pocatello that had paid for a Big Toy Demolition Company of some sort to come and disassemble their big toy. The company got mixed up, and in the middle of the summer, when nobody was there to correct their mistake, they came to our Hawthorne school and disassembled our perfectly nice big toy. When the kids and teachers arrived that fall, the big toy was gone. When the disassembling company was confronted, they didn't offer to put it back - I think they offered a little bit of money to replace the big toy, but not nearly enough, apparently. So our friends and families paid for a new one.



So, this year, my mom bought two rolls of wrapping paper, and Dylan got this handy-dandy bean-bag snake:

He was so surprised and disappointed that he didn't get the r/c car. Sheesh.

2 comments:

Patty said...

My mom would never let us sell anything for fundraisers. I don't like hitting people up either. Ken, on the other hand, ugh! Just guess what he is like! Our little neighbor girl comes over every time the school is fundraising and after I say no she asks if Ken is home. Just go AWAY!

Layton Mom said...

We have fundraising issues at our school too! They sell ridiculously priced cookie dough and several of us hate it. Despite valiant efforts to make a change the PTO presidency insists that it is the BEST fundraiser. This year they only brought in half of what they have in the past. I hate those stupid prizes and they break within minutes of being in my home. Unfortunately with more state budget cuts I don't see an end to the dumb fundraisers anytime soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...