Thursday, January 28, 2010

Oops.

Dylan's little friend, Noah, came over to play yesterday afternoon. At one point, I loaded up Noah, Dyls, and Micah into the car and went to get Sadie at preschool (I cleared this with Noah's mommy beforehand). On the way home, this conversation ensued:

Dylan: Mom, does Heavenly Father love gay people???

Me: Yes, Dyls, Heavenly Father loves ALL of his children.

Noah: What are gay people?

[Note: At this point, I should have said, "You need to ask your mom that question." That would have been the proper response. This is where the oops comes in. I should have let his mom handle this question. And I feel badly about it.]

Me: Well, if a boy likes another boy in a romantic way, then he is gay. Or if a girl likes another girl in a romantic way.

Noah: Ewwww.

Dylan: Wait. So gay people paint trains, shoot people, AND they like other boys??

Me: Whaaa??

And then I realized. Dylan was talking about gang people this whole time. Not gay people. He had just said the wrong word.

Dyls and I had a conversation a few days earlier about gangs, because he saw gang tags on some trains downtown. He asked what the "pretty paintings" were (I actually think some gang tags are very artistic). So I had to explain the whole gang thing to him.

So, all of that deep talk about gay people, and it wasn't even necessary! I talked to Noah's mom and let her know what I had said. She didn't care at all. I still felt bad. Why can't I ever do the proper thing???

8 comments:

Patty said...

Haha! I think this is funny! When my mom taught in the inner city of Pittsburgh she had a student who wrote a whole paper about the danger of eggs. And how eggs can kill people and you can get eggs from having too much sex and that eggs could have come from monkies. It took us a while but the paper was supposed to be about AIDS. Not eggs. Kids.

Unknown said...

I think the way you answered the question that was asked was very good. How are you to read minds and know he meant another word? :D

I don't think you did anything wrong at all. :)

Nat said...

I would have done the same thing. And you answered that very well!

Emily Empey said...

hahaha THats funny! I think you handled that vary well!!

lexykay said...

you did just fine kar! you handle things with a lot more grace than you think!

The Dillons said...

I think you handled the situation great, I am glad you called Noah's mother so he wouldn't go home and say, "So gay people paint trains, shoot people, AND they like other boys"...haha! I think it is hilarious that they had gay and gangs mixed up and they knew what they were talking about. Funny story Kar!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! That's hilarious! I always say things that I shouldn't. It's kind of annoying! But it's hard to think on your toes when your kids are waiting for an answer!:P I think you answered the question very well, though. I don't look forward to the day when I have to explain those things to our kids:P

Camille said...

Love it Kar - that's an awesome story!
Being a parent certainly keeps you on your toes - eh?
And has a way of making you feel like a complete idiot ALL at the same time!
You handled it great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...