Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Magazine Spread-Worthy

I've never really understood my mom's obsession with dishware. I think she has four different sets of dishware. When I got married, I just registered for normal corningware. I didn't see the need for fancy dishes.

However, after this last Christmas, I can really see where my mom is coming from. Having festive dishes and decorations for a party can really contribute to the whole feeling of the party.

Get a load of my mom's table on Christmas Eve - these were my great-grandma's dishes, and my other grandma's silverware:


My mom bought those chocolate raspberry thingeys to add to the decor (and to snack on later). She is so clever:


Mom found these decorations at Roberts that match her dishware perfectly:


Gorgeous:

Mom had some extra cranberries from her ward party, so she used them to kind of garnish the water:

It kind of made the water taste weird, though! We probably won't do that next year. :)
And look at my mom's gorgeous new decorations for her tree:

They're bronze and gold. So pretty.
Mom asked me to bring some kind of jello, so I brought "yule salad":

I promise it wasn't hard. Not as hard as this jello was. Only three layers. No biggie.
We had roast pork, and since my sis, Lex, is a pescatarian (yes, that is a real term), she and dad bought some shrimp and veggies and made tempura:


She warned us not to eat too much of her shrimp. Trust me, you couldn't have paid me. I HATE fish. I would never, ever be a pescatarian. I did steal a few tempura mushrooms, though. Ohhhhh. I love tempura mushrooms. It brings back memories of Dave and Buster's in San Diego. They have the best tempura mushrooms in the whole wide world.
The food was great, and the company was great. We had a good meal. Thanks for hosting, Mama!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never really understood the whole dishware thing either. Although, we do have Christmas Santa dishware for fun. But it's nothing like your mom's pretty stuff!! What a beautiful table!! I love the decorations to match the dinnerware! So pretty! Glad you had a good Christmas Eve dinner:)

Nat said...

Yes, it's really pretty for special occasions. But one time mom said some of the ladies in our old ward had Christmas China. I really don't see the point of that-buying a set you can use once a year? Total waste, in my opinion. If I had China (which I won't for many years, if ever), I would use it every day.

Paul and Kelsi said...

your mom is so creative!! everything looks gorgeous!

Gramma n Grampa said...

Ohhhh! It looks goregous! I love the dishes.

Emily Empey said...

Pretty decor! Love the tree!

Lyndsay said...

I so want to come & see your parents house - it looks so beautiful!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...