Saturday, January 9, 2010

Swear-Spelling

Dylan has spelling tests every week, and to help him prepare, I have him write down the words instead of spelling them orally to me. I figure that, if that's how they test him, that's how we should practice them.

A couple of weeks ago, we were practicing. One word was "shut." Dylan accidentally spelled it S-H-I-T. I looked at it and chuckled. "What??" he asked. "You just spelled 'shit,'" I said. He blushed and erased it, spelling it correctly.

Another word was "good." Dylan spelled it G-O-D. I looked at it and laughed again. "What??" he asked. "You just spelled 'God,'" I said. Again with the blushing, the erasing, and the re-spelling.

I, being the bad mommy I am, was teasing him about liking to spell swear words. (And yeeeeeeeeees, I know "God" isn't a swear word, as long as it is used in the right context. And I've told him that before. But he doesn't really get it. I was that way when I was his age. I never, ever said "God," even when I was reading scriptures. I would say things like, "And GOSH saw that it was good.")

As I was teasing Dylan about liking to spell swear words, he was writing a word on the next line. I said to him, "Why are you writing on the next line? I haven't even given you another word yet." I slid the paper over to me so I could read what he wrote.

He had written, "SHUT UP." And he had this exact look on his face:


Such defiance in those eyes. It was funny.

7 comments:

The Dillons said...

hahaha! I am laughing so hard. He is so funny! I was the exact same with saying God when reading the scriptures. It is hard to understand that when your younger.

P.S. Brooke White was on American Idol season 7. She was in the top 5 then kicked off. You should look her up, she has a unique voice. Tell me what you think.

Unknown said...

:D I have Goober spell it out with sign language. That way he remembers the signs AND we get the spelling down.

I've also taken a cookie sheet and put shaving cream on it and had him write the words in it... he thought it was okay, but I know other kids (aka Missy) who would have LOVED it.

Playdoh is a good one too.

I figure as long as he gets the spelling down, he'll know how to do it on paper when the test comes up :)

Mindy H. said...

Spelling tests were the bane of my exsistence untill....ummm....last year. That is when I finally stopped giving spelling tests to the kidlets and embraced my lack of spelling ability.

I love the look on Dyan's face! I have felt that same look directed at me by seventh graders who feel that I have wronged them in some way.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! LOL That's funny! I actually liked spelling tests. I was usually pretty good at spelling words.

J + A Humphreys said...

Yay! Congrats on the bun in the oven...that is very exciting news!! Actually, we can be pregnancy friends. :) I'm about 8-9 weeks along. Hope you are feeling good. I luckily don't have to be best friends with a barf bucket, everything just stinks. :)

Patty said...

What a little whip that Dylan is! I love spelling test and spelling bees. I try to get Ken to give me a spelling bee when we are on road trips.

lexykay said...

i am the worst speller EVER! throughout highschool mom had to help me and quiz me on spelling. i had to just write them about 20 times each - just memorize the spelling. it caused me a lot of anxiety! english is just not my area!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...