Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dad's Birthday

Dad's birthday was last week, and we had a little party to celebrate it on Friday night. We had a pot luck dinner first. Jake and Dylan:



Brock (that thing on his chin is a wart he just got removed):


Sadie:


Mom and Dad:


Ben and Pete:


Troy:


And Nat:


Ben and Jake, being silly together:



Then we sang to Dad and had him open his presents (he's opening my card in this shot):


Dylan had a dream about a week ago about a rug in my parents' basement. In his dream, it was a mean magic carpet that ate him. This dream really freaked him out, because he was still talking about it on Friday. He told Jake about his dream, and Jake started to get really scared of the magic carpet in my parents' basement. He worried about it all evening, no matter how many times we told him that it was only in Dylan's dream. So Ben decided to put the rug on top of him and chase the kids up the stairs. I was so worried that it would really scare Jake, but it kind of helped to alleviate his magic carpet fears. Here is a picture of the kids running away from the stairs:


And Ben laughing. He is so silly:



Here's Mom, teaching Sadie how to do a somersault. She did one and really hated it, refusing to somersault anymore. She's so weird!





Then Mom taught the kids how to play Pretty Bird My Cup, What Color's Yours? It was the hit of the evening. You have a little cup of water (we used to play it with a thimble when we were kids), and you choose a color in your mind. Then you go to everyone in the circle, one by one, and say, "Pretty Bird My Cup, What Color's Yours?" The person guesses a color. If he didn't guess the color you were thinking of, you go to the next guy and ask the question again. If he guessed the color you were thinking of, you splash him with the water. The kids could have played this game for a million years. Jake kept getting so frustrated that he wasn't guessing the color and getting splashed, so we told Dylan to splash Jake, no matter what color he said. This picture was taken right before Jake got splashed:





Sadie wanted a chance to splash someone, so we let her splash Ben, which consisted of her holding out his arm and pouring the water gently on his sleeve:


This is Dylan, after I told him we had to go home. He really wanted to keep playing. You can see how drenched he is:



It was a fun night. It is so nice to be around family again. Happy Birthday, Dad! I'm sorry your birthday is right in the middle of tax season. That sucks! Mine was always during finals, in college, but that was only for five years, not for my entire working career!!

6 comments:

Amy said...

The whole scared of the magic carpet thing reminds me of something Ethan would do. He had a dream once about a guy with an olive eye. It was so scary to him he slept on the floor by our bed for days. He still won't eat olives! I hope that Dylan and Jake get over it eventually- avoiding rugs their whole lives might get a little tricky!

Carrie said...

In looking at these pictures I just kept thinking that your mom has got to love having all of the grandkids around. Isn't it wonderful to be so close to family. Even at tax season!

Nat said...

I think Ben doing the rug thing made Jake get over it. I don't know why he was freaking out about it so much in the first place.

Jenny said...

looks like a fun party!

Lynita said...

Oh man that is so funny! I swear that Ben and Ryan are so alike, that is exactly what Ryan would do in a situation like that! He loves to scare our kids all the time, and anyone else for that matter. I have told him that he is not allowed to scare me anymore because I am tired of peeing my pants!! Ah the joys of having kids, I am practically an old lady, peeing my pants at the slightest sneeze, cough, or scare! LOL!

Beej said...

How fun! Again, I am super jealous. I am glad that you guys did something for dad's birthday. I think that getting together and having parties and socializing is so important for EVERYONE.

Good job to you all for getting that get-together organized.

Dad is so photogenic and handsome. It really drives me crazy, because I am the opposite. I NEVER look good in pictures.

And I can't figure out how it is that Nat can pull the silliest faces and still look good. Like it never makes her look bad or gross or scary...just silly and yet, still nice. I can't figure it out.

And I love how Dylan has gotten so many of Kar's facial expressions and mannerisms. I swear that 90% of what comes out of his mouth is something that Kar would say...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...