Wednesday, July 2, 2008

If It's Not Scottish, It's Crrrrrrap!

Yesterday, I had a very Scottish day. Nat and I found out about these free movies that they have at the local movie theater on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. They show older movies that you could easily rent, but it's totally free. I think they do it so they can make a little money off concessions. They made five bucks off me yesterday. They were showing Water Horse and Charlotte's Web, and we chose Water Horse, because my kids had already seen Charlotte's Web:

It was actually a really cute show. Nat's kids were pretty good; two of my three were devils. Here is how the show went for me:

Crusoe, the Loch Ness monster: Rrrrraaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!!
Micah: Waaaaaaahhhhhh!!
Jake [whispering]: Hey, Aunt Kar, can I hold Micah?
Me [whispering]: After the movie, buddy.
Angus, the little boy who raises Crusoe from a baby: CRUUUUUUUSSSOOOOOEEEEE!!!
Crusoe: Rrrrrrraaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
Troy, who has fallen into the little crevice at the back of his theatre seat: I'm STUUUCK!!
Sadie: Hold ME, Mommy, Hold MMMMMMEEEEEE!!!!
Me [whispering]: Shut up, Sadie!! I'm feeding the baby!
Sadie: Waaaahhhhhh!!
Micah: Waaaaahhhhhhh!!!
Angus: Cruuuuuusssssssooooooeeeeeee!!
Crusoe: Rrrrrrrraaaaaaaarrrrrrrr!!
War guns from British soldiers who think Crusoe is a U-boat: BOOOM!! KA-BOOM!!
Jake [whispering]: Hey, Aunt Kar, can I hold Micah?
Troy is kicking down on his chair, kicking me, kicking Micah, kicking Nat, kicking Ivy...
Me: Hey, Troy, watch out for the baby, okay?
Dylan is staring open-mouthed at the movie screen, a little bit of drool coming out of the corner of his mouth, and his boogers sliming out of his nose, as usual.
Crusoe: Rrrrrraaaaaaaaaarrrrrr!!
Angus: Cruuuuuuussssssssooooooooooooeeeeee!!
Troy: Want Coke, Kar!
Me: Okay, buddy. Here you go.
Sadie: Dat's MY Toke, Mommy!!!
Me: Shut up, Sadie. We're sharing.
Sadie: No sut up!! I hate you!!
War guns: BAM! KA-BOOM!! BAM!

It was a really awesome time. Nat and I decided that we couldn't do this ever again without a little bit of help. :)

Incidentally, my Sadie has died, and some other little beastmaster has taken over her body. She is getting a major 'tude, and it's flabbergasting. I have to dig my nails into my palms to keep from slapping her right across the face, seriously.

Then, last night, my dad took Mom, Nat, and I to a local production of Brigadoon. Here's the poster from the original movie, starring Gene Kelly. Nat has a copy of this movie. It's super-cheesy, but that just goes with the territory when it comes to musicals:




Brigadoon is also set in Scotland, so after my very Scottish day, I felt like saying, when Dylan was asking for some kool-aid at midnight last night: "Nooooo, Dylan, I canna' doooo thot. Yee must be tetched in the heed." The show was really cute - they did a good job. And a couple of people who I grew up with were in it, which was fun. I cringed a little at the choreography and at the main dancer girl. Yikes. Bikes. (That's one of my favorite quotes from Never Been Kissed, one of my all-time favorite movies.) But the costumes and scenery were lovely, and the singers were very talented. Gooooooo, Scotland!!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Karlenn! What a day, huh? We have those free movies at our theater too. Lucky for me...I have a friend whose children are grown and they ask us to come with them and then they TAKE CARE OF MY KIDS! How great is that? So yeah, I highly recommend "help"!

Unknown said...

"I cannut doit Capt'n, duint haaave the Powah!!!"
- compliments Scottie from Star Trek. :)

If Gavin demanded anything at midnight I would just assume he is sleep walking. he sleeps THAT deep. We wake him up once a night to use the potty (trying to avoid bedwetting... though sometimes it's not avoidable) and he is sooooo tired! he says REALLY random things at that time of night... too funny.

anjie said...

We haven't been to the theater forEVER! This reminds me why. But who can resist free?

Nat said...

You hit the nail on the "heed"! :) You're so funny!

Autumn said...

I'm laughing so hard right now! I just took the kids yesterday to the free movies they play here, and your dialogue is soooo true! LOL!

Lynita said...

Okay I know I shouldn't say this but that whole story is hysterical in a way to close to home way! I am sad because I wanted to go to the Highland Games tomorrow, but sadly this scottish family has not the money to do it! You are brave to do the movie thing, I tried it with two when we were in Utah and it was a nightmare! By the way I love Brigadoon, I know it is cheesy but the accents and the whole story still reel me in!

Gifford Family said...

That is why I have forgone going to the movies. You are a brave soul.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...