Monday, October 12, 2009

Old Spice

I was cleaning my mom's kitchen cupboards a couple of weeks ago, and I ran into some old spices and extracts. Really old.
Marjoram (you can tell this is old because it's in a metal tin)...


from 1974:


From 1974!!! That marjoram is older than I am!!! Look at how much it cost:

Sixty-nine cents!!! Can you imagine?? We opened it up and couldn't smell anything. It was that old. There was no smell left. Just an odd powder that probably has no taste, either.
Maple extract....

From 1976!!!!:

The funniest thing about this is that Mom knew about the oldness of these spices. Nat helped my mom de-junk all of her stuff when Mom and Dad moved into their new house, five years ago. Nat pointed out these old spices and extracts, but Mom refused to let Nat get rid of them. They also had a spectacular fight about Mom's popcorn popper. (Mom won that fight, too, but she hasn't used the popcorn popper at all in the past five years, either.) My mom has a hard time letting things go. :) In one of her kitchen cupboards, I found some drawers, which she never used, that go to her old refridgerator. And she wouldn't let me toss them. But she did let me toss the spices. Baby steps, Mom. Baby steps.

8 comments:

Gifford Family said...

That is so funny! My mom had the same problem when we moved her. She did not want to get rid of anything! My dad was even worse!!! He was a huge pack rat!

Nat said...

I can't believe you got Mom to throw those out! One of these days we should just go over when she's not home and steal the popcorn popper. :)

Layton Mom said...

That is exactly why my sister and I clean for my mom when she is not home. That woman will not throw anything away. I admit to being a pack rat and keeping a lot of things that I probably don't really need too but I pale in comparison to my mother. She never knows where anything is so we can throw things out and she doesn't ever know. Evil I know!

Mindy H. said...

My mother has some of those same old spice tins in her food storage, so it must just be a mom thing. But kudos to you for helping her toss them. It can always be tough to part with something that you have help on for so long.

Anonymous said...

Haha!! Wow, that's pretty old spices! Mark's parents always have expired food around. We always have to check the dates on things before we eat at their house. LOL

lexykay said...

when i first saw the title "old spice" i immediately thought of the spice girls and imagined one of them wrinkled and hunched over trying to sing and dance to "i'll tell ya what i want, what i really, really want." :)

Emily Empey said...

hahahahahaha HILARIOUS!

Camille said...

So funny! You should have sold them on e-bay as "vintage" spices!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...