Monday, July 27, 2009

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Oh! Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Yeah!

My post title comes from one of my all-time favorite YouTube videos:

Soooooo funny.

So. I'm 32 years old and I still dress up for midnight movie premieres. :) I went with two of my sisters (we missed you, Beads) to the Harry Potter midnight showing, the first day it came out.

Lexi put a lot of thought into her costume. She was Luna Lovegood:

Note the Spectre Specs in the above photo. Some other noteworthy parts of her costume - her radish earrings:

And a Butter Beer "cork" necklace:

I seriously don't remember any of those details. I must go back and re-read the series. I really should have re-read it before we went to the movie, but I just wasn't in the mood. I think I will be in the mood after I've finished the book I'm currently reading - The Memory Keeper's Daughter. It is soooooooooo depressing. I'll need something lighter when I'm done, that's for sure. I mean, Harry Potter isn't necessarily light fare sometimes, but it has its moments of fun, you know? Stuff to help you overcome the depressing stuff, like Sirius and Dumbledore dying. And that one Weasley twin dying, and the other one losing his ear. *Sniff.*
Nat dressed as Tonks:

She sprayed her hair with pink hairspray. So awesome. I should have taken a closer picture of her t-shirt. It says, "The Weird Sisters" on it - I guess Tonks sometimes wears that t-shirt. The Weird Sisters is a wizarding band in Harry Potter world.
And I dressed as Bellatrix Lestrange:

I had big, cool plans for my costume, but when I went to raid the costume box my mom has always had, I found that it had been tossed. No more old Elvira costume and long, ratty, blag wig to borrow. So I had to rat the crap out of my own hair, and baby powder it. And kind of make due with other clothing. My skirt is a little too pencil-ey for Bellatrix, but at least it was black, right?
And we used wooden spoons as our wands:


Which the movie theater dudes made us take back to the car. I'm trying to figure out why that is. I guess there's a reason for every rule, right? It was weird - we were walking in, and the movie theater workers are like, "You can't bring your wands in."
And we're like, "Seriously?"
And they're like, "Yeah, you may cast a spell. Hahaha!"
And we were like, "Oh, hahaha!" and then we continued to walk in, and they stopped us, and they were like, "No, seriously."
Us: "Oh. Uh... okay..."
Anyways, midnight premieres are soooo fun. There is such a sense of camraderie. People cheer, and clap, and yell, and gasp, and it's a blast. I loved the Twilight premiere. I will definitely be going to the New Moon premiere. I must go and swoon over Taylor Lautner. Yes, I am 32, but inside, I'm still an eighteen-year-old.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

OK, your outfits were unbelievable!

The Falvey's said...

You guys are so crazy!! We love it. We too went to the Midnight Showing of Harry Potter. We got a rain check to go back and see it since it cut off right at the end! So, I too got to see it twice!!! What a blast!

The Dillons said...

So I have not read those...You gave all the stuff away haha

Lynita said...

Nice costumes, you really know how to rock that evil chic look! I love the details on Lexi's, awesome! I love Harry Potter too, but I don't remember any fat witches well enought to make a costume and wear it! LOL! Plus I only have one friend who might be game and she has a newborn, oh well I am itching to go see it again too!

Nat said...

I freaking love that youtube clip! Brock all day has been saying "Snape, Snape, Severus Snape". They think it's really funny when Dumbledore is naked. That was so fun; we'll have to do it again for movies 7 and 8!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...