Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Swimming in Ice Water. Literally.

Ben's childhood friend, Kyle, called him up on a Friday a couple of weeks ago and said, "Hey, we're stopping in Idaho Falls tomorrow on our way up to Coeur d'Alene. Wanna hang out?" Of course he said yes. That same Friday, we had a huge, huge hailstorm. I'd say the hail was about 1/2 inch in diameter. And it took a long time for the hail to melt, at least in our yard.
Kyle's fam was camping at a KOA campground here, and there was a swimming pool. They asked us if we wanted to go swimming, and of course, we said yes. What we didn't know was that the pool isn't heated. I imagine that all of the hail had sat in that pool until it melted. It was literally ice water. Yikes. Bikes.
Kyle and Ben didn't mind it:

And Kyle's kids didn't seem to mind it (this is Leah):

But my kids wouldn't get in:


And I don't blame 'em. I could stand putting my feet in, but that was it. Kyle pulled his wife, Shelly, in, and it took her a long time to recover:

Poor lady. I really, really like Kyle and Shelly and their kids. I wish we lived closer. Kyle is always going down memory lane with Ben, and it's fun to hear about the shenanigans they got into as kids.
Some slides:

4 comments:

Nat said...

Ugh, I HATE swimming in cold water! I'm all about the bath-water temperature! I'm glad you guys had fun with them.

Anonymous said...

Me too(I hate swimming in cold water)! Sounds like fun though:)

Mindy H. said...

I am not a fan of cold water swims either. I still remember jumping into the freezing lake at Island Park to do a swim test for girls camp. It took forever to catch my breath and I have been firmly against cold water ever since. I'm glad that your families were able to get together. Maybe next time the weather will cooperate.

Lynita said...

Sounds like a fun adventure, but for those of us with skinny kids not so fun.  My kids would never have gone in! It is good to see old friends though, love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...