Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Put Your Hoe Down!

Like I have always said, my mom throws the best parties ever. She's her ward's activities person, and she plans things so perfectly. She works really hard. A couple of weeks ago, she had a country-style hoedown, and she asked me to help teach some country dances.

Now, I'm not, like, a country dance expert, but I remembered some dances from when I was an EFY counselor, so I was like, sure. Plus, my family got free food with the deal. You can't lose with free food.

She gave all the kids free handkerchiefs to wear. Dylan didn't want to wear his like a cowboy would. He wanted to tie his around his head. He ended up looking like a gangster:

Here I am, teaching the Cotton-Eyed Joe:

Nat, Sadie, Dad, and Mom doing the Cotton-Eyed Joe:

Then this man who is a "caller" for square dancing taught us a dance called the O Johnny O Johnny O:

Sadie was having a blast.
Nat helped watch Micah, and she took some dang good pictures of the action, as well:

Then the caller taught us The Virginia Reel - here are Ben and I doing that:

Sadie is the queen of crusty looks:

And then I taught the Slappin' Leather dance:


We had a blast. I was so sweaty at the end of the night. But it just felt good to dance. I'm a fan of dancing, as you know.

A slideshow:

4 comments:

Nat said...

Maybe Sadie will become a dancer like her mama. I love dancing, as well. Not that I'm good at it, but it was fun to do those little dances. Sorry that I took about a thousand pics that you had to wade through.

The Dillons said...

That is fun! I learned the Virginia Reel during a trek a few years ago!

Unknown said...

So Much fun!! Thanks for helping me out with that and all of the other things you help me out with. I really liked the Virginia Reel. That was a kick in the pants!!

Amy said...

You are awesome, and your momma is too! I don't think I could ever pull anything like that off. It looks like a great time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...