Friday, August 29, 2008

Failure to Thrive, Part 2


Well, I promised you guys an update on the Micah situation. When we went to the doctor on Monday, Micah had only gained three ounces in a week. Bad. :( The doctor said that the blood tests and stool test didn't show any problems, which is really good. He's going to have me keep a log for two weeks, and then see him again and fork over another $25 co-pay. "I don't know what's wrong with him - can I have $25, please?" Nothing against Dr. Groberg. It's just that a $25 co-pay once a week is pretty tough for us. But we'll do whatever it takes to make Micah well.

My mom bought us a bottle/nipple combination called Dr. Brown's. The nipple is the softest nipple I have ever felt. And it has this funky ventilation thing inside to help eliminate the ingestion of bubbles. For the first couple of days, he was actually drinking 6 ounces per feeding, which is exactly what we want. But over the last couple of days, he has been meandering back down to his usual three ounces. The lazy butt. :) I truly, truly think this is all a weak sucking issue. I'm going to maybe try that bottle that my friend Anjie told me about - she had a baby with a weak suck reflex, and she had the bottle where the milk is in a bag, and she would squeeze the bag, letting milk into her baby's mouth. So I might give that a shot. I'll keep you updated.

7 comments:

lexykay said...

my poor nephew :( i wish i could help...
oh and about the ticket, you paid for our breadsticks at papa kelseys one day so consider it even steven.
welll i miss you and love you like a fat kid loves cake

anjie said...

Check this web site out. I'm not sure all of the symptoms Micah has. But you did say arching and poor weight gain. This is what Reagan had as an infant- except with rapid weight gain. But it sounds like Micah sleeps through the night. Reagan never slept well, till we got this taken care of. Always woke up screaming. Never stayed asleep for very long at all.
http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/silent-reflux-infant.html

Sorry he's not gaining. It is so frustrating!

Nat said...

Dude, he ate great with me! It's so funny like that. Ivy will chow down one day-like, 6 ounces each time- and another day she'll only take 3 ounces in a feeding. He's such a little cutie. And he totally cuddled with me after the first part of the feeding; after the second part he fell asleep cuddling with me. So cute!

Kar said...

Thanks, Anjie, for the website. Micah has almost every single one of those symptoms; I'm going to bring it up with Dr. G when we go in in a week. I know how awful reflux is - I have it when I'm pregnant, and it makes me want to die!! So maybe Micah has Silent Reflux.

Gifford Family said...

Just trying to catch up on your blogs! I never have time anymore! Sorry to hear that Micah is still not doing well. Hopefully they will find the reason.

Lynita said...

Oh man I am sorry that the bottle your mom gave you didn't fix it. But I hope that the other bottle might help out more! Let me know how it is going, I will pray that something will work soon!

Beej said...

Poor baby Meeka. I am so worried. But I feel so helpless so far away. I wish that there was something that I could do. I love you Kar. I'm thinking about you and praying for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...