Friday, August 29, 2008

White Star



Dude, this was sooo long ago. Sorry! I'm trying... Anyways, Lexi called me up one day and said, "Hey, a couple of my friends from Cedar City are in this play, and they're performing in I.F. tonight. Wanna go?" I'm always up for doing fun stuff, so of course I said yes. Hmmm. I still need to pay Lex back for my ticket. I'll pay you when I get paid Monday, Lex. Sorry. :) I suck.

So it was the three sisters who are in town (we miss you, Beads!) and my grandpa. Gramps loves anything musical or performance-related. Well, he hates techno music. But he's cool with everything else. So we brought him along. He's so cute.

So the play is called White Star, and it's like the sequel to Saturday's Warrior. And so what they do with this is they perform a very pared-down version of Saturday's Warrior - you know, the main songs, plus a quick narration by Pam, who is the twin who dies at the end of Saturday's Warrior. Sorry if I just spoiled it for you. But seriously. It's been out for 35 years. If you haven't seen it yet, are you going to? Probably not. And White Star picks up the storyline like 20 years later. The singers were really incredible, and the acting was very authentic. Lexi hung out and chatted with her friends after the show, and they said that it drains them so much, because they have to cry a lot during the course of the show. I don't know how they can do that. I did drama in high school, and I had to rub Vicks into my eyes to cry onstage. Seriously. I just couldn't do it!! So anyone who can act and cry is tops to me.

White Star was really neat, because it talks a lot about the afterlife, and being together again with family members who have died, and meeting your ancestors. I like thinking about stuff like that.

Funny story - Grandpa is hard of hearing, and at intermission, Lexi says to him, "So, Gramps, what do you think? Do you like it?"

Grandpa: "Yes, I like it a lot."

Lexi: "Do you understand what's going on in the show? Can you hear what they're saying?"

Gramps: "Not a damn word."

He is hilarious. Love that guy.

3 comments:

Beej said...

Cute! I love gramps!!

Nat said...

Ah, cute grandpa! Have you heard of any shows or anything going on at BYU-I? We'll have to take him if so.

Lynita said...

Dude I love your Grandpa too! I have never met him, but he seems like good guy. Besides anyone with that kind of heart and honesty is cool in my book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...