Sunday, August 31, 2008

Greggy Just Got Married!

Okay. So my dear friend, Gregg, got married last week. Here's his engagement photo:

He got married in the Idaho Falls temple to a great girl named Marthea. Incidentally, my middle name is Mathia. She has Norwegian ancestry, and so do I! (So that automatically qualifies Marthea as a cool girl.)
I went to his reception, which was beautiful, all done up in turquoise and cream, with a seashore theme. So pretty and classy. I was a dork and forgot my camera. Sheesh. I couldn't afford to give them a gift - yes, we are that poor - but I did bring them a card, and this girl is so nice that she wrote me a thank-you note for the CARD!! My friend, Chad's, wife did the same thing. How on top of it are these girls, to write thank-you notes so quickly, and for something as inconsequential as a card?
Gregg has always been like a brother to me. So, as a homage to my friend Greggy, here are a few pictures from my archives.

This was during a Peer Counseling Retreat, I think our senior year of high school. Gregg's the one trying to do "the hulk" on what looks like a Raggedy-Ann dress. We were doing karaoke, and I think this was during a musical interval. I'm the one with the orange sweat pants, with my back to the camera, doing the running man, I think:


And here is Gregg as Santa - I think it was for some fund-raiser. Me and my best friend, Pooh, are on his lap. I loved those yellow boots. I wore them everywhere:


And here we are, a group of us, the night before graduation. We wanted to camp out on the soccer field next to the school, but then it blizzarded. That's right. On, like, June 6th. So we slept in our cars. Gregg is on the far left, in a black jacket, and I'm sixth from the left, with my mouth open:


The summer right after graduation, we all kind of stuck around. Gregg and his friends were in this dumb little club called "Sigma Theta Gamma," which was code for "Shoot the Girls." They seriously had all these meetings and stuff. And they were supposed to hang out with me and my friends one night, and they totally ditched us for a stupid STG meeting. So we bought some plastic forks and put them in the lawn of whoever's house it was where they had the meeting (I think it was Gregg's), and we put a sign on the front stoop that said, "Fork you, STG!!"

So then, a few nights later, my friends and I were all at my house, and these guys somehow got ahold of boxes and boxes of old bean burritos, and they actually burritoed my house. Put these moldy old frozen burritos in my mailbox, on my roof, smeared them into the bricks on my house... Oh, it was Go Time.

My dad is an accountant, and they have to shred a lot of documents, so my friends and I shredded several, several huge bags of paper, planning to dump them on Gregg's lawn. We stored them in my friend, Emily's, van, and had a sleepover at my other friend, Lindsey's, house. Well, a third friend's brother totally was a spy for STG, and they came over and stole the bags out of Em's van (she had forgotten to lock it), and then dumped the shredded paper all over mine and Lindsey's yards that night. It took, like, four hours to clean Linds's lawn, and four hours to clean my lawn:


This is the kind of stuff we do for fun in Idaho, folks. We don't have Disneyland or Universal Studios or Sea World. We have toilet papering, camping in cars in June, and hookey-bobbing.

I think Gregg went on his mission maybe after freshman year of college. Yeah, that's right. So we continued to hang out, because we both went to Ricks. My maiden name is the same as his last name, and we decided to pretend that we were twins. We had Gregg's roommates completely convinced of this. We had all the answers memorized - when our birthday was, who our parents were, who was oldest, etc. His roommates used to browbeat Gregg for not visiting his twin more often. :) Here is Gregg at a Mary Kay party at my apartment. I don't think he did the makeup part, but I'm pretty sure he did the three-step cleansing, astringent, and moisturizer part. You know which one is Gregg, I think, and I'm the one in the brown shirt with my eyes totally closed. My friends, Pooh, Lindsey, Cecily, and Rachel were all there. Good times:


So congrats, Gregg! I'm so happy that my twin is happily settled down! :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok so I'm gunna let a secret out of the bag....

You know that night he burritoed your house? Well you know those great neighbors two houses down who were mostly cool with just about everything? Yeah, those ones. Well... they couldn't tell what they were dumping all over yours and Emily's yards and were worried it was something damaging (I think I remember "Gasoline" stated as a possibility at the time). Yeah well, those really awesome neighbors down the street called the police on them!

LOL So now Greg knows who got him in trouble for possibly stealing old burritos from taco bell (or some such place) Yup, moi parental units. And I appologize for them!

I think I remember somethign about burritos being found DAYS later COOKED in the hot mailbox! rofl

PS Greg, if my parents had known they would have NEVER called the cops... heck my dad even supplied shredd for some of my shredfests in highschool!

Anwho now that that is out of the box....anyone want some Ben and Jerries??? mmmmm

Lynita said...

I love those stories Kar. We did the same type of things, I think one night I remember old Christmas trees and a lot of construction cones and flashing light thingys! My mom even went with me one night to TP my friends truck, best alibi ever!

Nat said...

Good ol' Greg. Didn't he DJ your wedding or something? Maybe I'm making that up...

Beej said...

Yay for our second-cousins. They are the freakin' bomb! Lindsay was just a little bit older than me and she was a cool chick. We were in choir together. I remember all of the fun things that you did in high school. You had like the ultimate high school experience. I am still way jealous. I thought that it would be that way for me when I grew up. Umm...no such luck. I had the typical high school hell experience. But I loved watching you and your friends have such a blast. Seriously. Do you know how lucky you were. I remember all of those things like I had experienced them. Oh wait, I DID have to help clean up the shredded paper AND burritos. It's fun being the little sister...

Gifford Family said...

What fun stories! Gotta love those good old high school days!

Gregg said...

Wow, a blog all about me. a couple of corrections though. STG stood for "Surviving the Game", it was a crappy, yet entertaining Ice-T movie we had watched the night it accidentally formed (another long story). The burritos were just luck. Chad H worked for a cold storage place, in which the burritos had been for years. A manager took them home and they gave his family, and his horses the slicks, so they threw them away, and we stold them out of the dumpster.

And don't worry April, we never got in trouble for it... the perfect crime!

Small-town fun at it's finest!

Gregg said...

Hehe, I still like reading this story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...