Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Have OCD...

As in Obsessive Cullen Disorder. I just finished the fourth book in the Twilight series...



...and may I say that this series touched me as no book has since...Escape. Or Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I have read a lot of duds in the intervening months, and I fully expected Twilight to be a dud, but I was completely sucked in. I read all four books in about one week. Which is why I haven't posted many comments on my friends' blogs lately (sorry. I will catch up, I promise). I'm totally and completely in love with Edward and with Jacob. And with their mythological world. And I'm in love with... love. Reading about the love between Bella and Edward just made me a little teary-eyed (I'm a little teary-eyed as I'm typing this), and it made me hug my husband a little tighter and longer when he came home from work. Love is such a gift, and I worry that, with all the stresses and worries of having a small family and a limited budget (I borrowed the books, of course, but would love to own them someday), I have let my undying love for my beautiful husband lie fallow sometimes. I remember when our love was new and passionate, and I find myself ashamed that the passion has fallen through the cracks. I'm going to really have to start working on that.

And I don't know what is WRONG with me. Books really, really affect me. Probably more than movies. I often laugh out loud or start sobbing when I read. I remember when I was reading a book when I was seven years old. I was sitting on the couch in the living room of our rental apartment, and I started crying (I have since forgotten the book. Probably Little House on the Prairie, or something), and Brianna toddled up to me and offered me her binkie, to help me stop crying. So sweet. And often, when I finish a book, I feel soooooo lost and sad. I actually miss the characters. And wish they were real and were my friends. When I finished reading I Capture the Castle, I started bawling, because I missed the characters, and I knew it was over. I knew I could read the book over and over again, but it's never the same. Except for when you're reading the Harry Potter series, perhaps. :) So I am a weird loser who is totally sad and lost, now that my Edward and Jacob have finished their saga.

However, I do have the movie to look forward to:

And I cannot freakin' wait! They have that cute dude that played Cedric Diggory playing Edward. He is soooooo cute. I just watched the movie trailer:

...and my heart started seriously beating sooo hard. This is exactly what it felt like to have a crush in high school. I am such a nerd!! I'm going to the movie with my Laurel girls, and we are totally going to dress up. I need to decide who I want to dress up as. Maybe Leah, the only girl werewolf. Or maybe Jane, the sadistic vampire. I cannot WAIT!!

Now, for those of you who are skeptical of the series, especially if you didn't like the first book, give the second book a shot; I promise you won't regret it. The first book was kind of slow at first, and I wasn't going to continue the series; but then the last one-fourth whooshed me away in the action, and I had to keep reading!! The second and third books are nothing but action, action, action. The fourth book was kind of... different. But a good resolution for all the characters. On the whole, I'm really, really glad I read it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Good resolution except for that ATROCOUS NAME.... GAH!!!! who in there right mind would name their child that? Sorry but it's almost like they were trying for the most "e"s possible ...can you imagine if she included all of them? Reneeesme. ROFL. I kept reading it resume, like the paper you had to a possible employer to tell them how cool you are. Yep. Resume the ....um..... thingy. Yah. :D They did suck me through though. Pretty good story.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you loved the series.
here is the answer to the question you asked me on my blog.:)
go to youtube and you will see an embed code. copy it and then on your blog go to create post open the edit HTML tab copy the code there then go to compose and type as you would (the video will be blank you will just see the square..or at least I do) but when you publish it will be there. Hope this helps :)

Lynita said...

I adored this series too. Believe it or not I am the same way with books! Ryan thinks it is weird that I start laughing or crying when I read books, but to me they are better than movies! I just finished the 4th book on Monday because it was my anniversary present. I had to wait for my husband to leave so I wouldn't neglect him. But I read like 500 pages on Monday to finish it! I am looking forward to the movie, I know it will be a hit with the ladies in my book group.

Megann said...

I agree sista! You mentioned some books that I haven't read. I need something new...

Nat said...

Pete just bought #2 and #3. I may or may not read them. #1 was a fast read, but... I don't know.

Anyway, because they're postponing the Harry Potter movie until July 2009 (very GRRR), they're bumping up the release date of the Twilight movie to Nov. 21 instead of Dec. 12. Just an FYI. And Cedric Diggory/Edward is so stinking hot.

Norlund Clan said...

The books are totally awesome. Check out this link: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

Stephnie Meyer is writing at least the first book again, but it is from Edwards point of view. You can even read the first chapter online.

Jenny said...

i like the books too. there were some things about the 1st three that bugged me, but after reading the 4th one all of my issues were resolved. i think the 4th is my favorite. :) i'm excited for the movie, too. we'll have to chat sometime. :) i'm waiting to reread all 4 books until after i have another baby - when i have oodles of time just sitting (and nursing) to read. :)

Amy said...

I have yet to get sucked in, although I have half my ward offering to let me borrow their copies. I have to get a few things done first, before I can let go of everything for a week- or however long it takes to get through them all. I have heard really rave reviews. And I am a book crier too. Top two crybaby books I have read/reread recently- The Notebook and The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Favorite middle school cry- Six Months to Live by Lurlene McDaniel. Just in case you wanted to know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...